Brisbane to Melbourne

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
OK, I will be the first to say that I like the inland highway, the Newell, but google maps tells me to go home down to Sydney and then then the Hume to Melbourne.

What is your choice and why?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Inland.....always the choice run, Cunningham out of Brissie, then across to Gundy and down the Newell branch off for Shep sometimes, no big cities to fight thru, no tolls, less traffic and cheaper places to camp at and quite often the fuel is easier and cheaper to source, just less hassle on the road always the choice for work or play................nowadays I only travel the Newell or other Hwys if in a hurry, otherwise I would leave Brissie then divert near Inglewood and follow the road to Texas, Bingara, Manilla, Gunnedah, Dunnedoo, Wellington, Young, Temora, Urana, Rutherglen then Shep makes for a more interesting leisurely trip, less traffic and better camping, can take weeks or if in a hurry it's really not that much longer....................no hwys or hassle.................fuel stops don't require a big detour.

Coast road to Sydney is usually a go for broke run, everyone is just fanging it, fuel means a side trip for overpriced juice, camps are overpriced and the free camps are just swamped, need to plan to hit Hornsby by 1000 and blow out the other side by 1400 or be in traffic hell, toll dongle a must ( which by the way the QLD system is better than the Vic one if you have a dual cab way cheaper) then you have to drag race down the Hume to Albury timing your fuel stops so you don't land in places like Gundagi and pay for the honour, Gundagi is a great place to camp just not refuel, after Albury more of the same boring concrete till the end of the world Melbourne...............Even if in a big hurry to get to Melb I would go inland, driven both ways quite a few hundred times, possibly more, inland always won as preferred run.

Reactions: 1DayIll

rags

Although I enjoy the Newell run taking in the rural sights, it can be painful slowing to 50km at every town you drive thru.

The Pacific Hwy is an every improving highway. It is only Ballina to Grafton that can have you slowing for roadworks. However a detour down the Summerland way to Grafton fixes that. Beyond Grafton with the exception of Coffs Harbour you travel on a freeway all the way into Sydney., a fine highway now days.
Again after taking on the Pennant Hills Rd you jump on the M2 and you won't see another traffic light until you hit the Melbourne CBD.

We often do the drive Brisbane to Sydney and have our favourite spots to pull up for real food along the way without deviating too much.