Brisbane to Hobart

Middo

Apr 25, 2014
Brisbane
About March we are planning to head to Tasmania. We plan to head down the Newell highway, stop in Canberra for about a week, see an air show at Temora and spend a night in Melbourne before catching the ship. Looking at getting a day trip over and night one back. Planning on staying in Tasmania for about a month. Canberra on the way back as family there. Any suggestions on stops greatly appreciated. Tow vehicle is a ford Everest, van Jayco Starcraft 16 with shower and toilet.

Reactions: Bluey

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
In melbourne theres a van park at werribee south on the beach its your best bet i reckon not far from the tassie boat and my house mite have a quick catch up
What time dose day boat leave for the commute into town traffic can be an issue lot of people going to work

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
In Canberra if you haven't got a front lawn to park we stay at either The Epic or Bungendore Showgorunds, not much choice at all really, if you don't want bells and whistles The Reserve at Eumungerie, 40kms north of Dubbo is not bad for a $10 a night camp, they have power, water and showers, Wellington van park by the river is good and Cowra is nice as well ..

Temora is a regular haunt of ours and while we used to stay at the Airfield Caravan Park we now stay at the Showground $15 power/water but just for cost saving, the airfield park is pretty good, if going on a flying weekend and staying at the airfield book, most enjoyable time to be had.......Don't refuel at Coonabarrabran it's way too expensive.

Middo

Apr 25, 2014
Brisbane
In melbourne theres a van park at werribee south on the beach its your best bet i reckon not far from the tassie boat and my house mite have a quick catch up
What time dose day boat leave for the commute into town traffic can be an issue lot of people going to work
Thanks for that but I think we might park at a van park just north of the ferry terminal. Have to wait and see

Middo

Apr 25, 2014
Brisbane
In Canberra if you haven't got a front lawn to park we stay at either The Epic or Bungendore Showgorunds, not much choice at all really, if you don't want bells and whistles The Reserve at Eumungerie, 40kms north of Dubbo is not bad for a $10 a night camp, they have power, water and showers, Wellington van park by the river is good and Cowra is nice as well ..

Temora is a regular haunt of ours and while we used to stay at the Airfield Caravan Park we now stay at the Showground $15 power/water but just for cost saving, the airfield park is pretty good, if going on a flying weekend and staying at the airfield book, most enjoyable time to be had.......Don't refuel at Coonabarrabran it's way too expensive.

Never been there before and no front lawn to park on. Our son and partner are moving to Canberra so will probably stay a week on the way down and on the way back.got to spoil the 2.5 year old grandson. Biggest cost will be the ferry.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have most of the tribe in Canberra, the Epic is the canberra showground, its not flash but is in town, check the web site or wiki camps, pays to book. Handy to bus and new tram about $35/nt the other van park, Alivio is very nice but in the $55 plus range, park in fyshwick is a refo camp. Parks in Queanbeyan bit squeezy for my rig and a bit ordinary I thought....keep stuff locked up in the nations capital, lot of ferals with sticky fingers.