SA Brighton beach tourist park

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Ahhh, memories.

Had to look on Google Maps to figure out where the Bakery was (RHS further up) but did instantly recognise the Police Station (never there as a Customer). From about where you took the picture though there was nothing going East as the town stopped there and the bypass wasn't even being thought of. My first major country job there for 15 months (weekdays only) and lots of stories but too many people still alive to tell them.

Now to your Caravan Park. I was somewhat confused when you first mentioned going there as I born nearby and used to live a few K's away as a teenager and even cycled all around there on occasions, but then it was known, correctly, as Kingston Park. It's actually in the suburb of Seacliff and Brighton is the next one North so the owner's have been a bit naughty in the naming. I think that not long ago they had a clear out of permanents and refurbished the place. I've never understood why the access to the Caravan Park wasn't from the Esplanade rather than the hilly and non obvious route it takes you via. Having seen in recent years what the Esplanade looks like further North though it's become a bit of a nightmare of humps and whatever other anti-car items that they have wrecked the road with.

It was just near there the other day where some idiot wrecked his just bought 2nd hand Ferrari. We lived on that road and it never had a stretch of suitable road for doing much.

Silver Sands/Aldinga & Sellicks Beach. Some of the family living there and we will be down there in a month or so, hopefully, as a part of a 4 month tour. We used to live up in the hills for a number of years and had some holidaying at Aldinga in the late 50's to early 60's. Not much around there then but good times.

Reactions: Bluey and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Good write up @Bluey and that park looks great right on the beach.
Showed the Mrs the pic of the albino roos and that is now on her wish list of places to visit!!!!!

The second pic of the van hooked up to the Prado????? Is it the angle of the photo or is the van a little high at the front end?

Reactions: Bluey

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
Stayed here a few years ago in the Summer. Lovely little park and I do remember squeezing into the sites.
We used to walk up the hill towards Adelaide every night for an ice cream at Copenhagen. Also remember taking the drive to Port Noarlunga to jump off the pier and swim there. Great little spot!

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
sorry phil should have taken more pics for u in Bordertown , yes everyone in Adelaide my relatives kept saying no Kingston park
they have thrown out the permanents maybe council orders a lot of trouble there when it happened would be hard to drive there from beach rd to drive through the surf club ????? I liked the road in but very small roads in the park not much room to back on ur site good park for smaller vans and campers enjoy ur time there its lovely have u been to the whispering wall ?? go there
Never heard of the "whispering wall".

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Whispering Wall is at Williamstown in the Adelaide Hills. It is a dam on the South Para Resevoir, that by shape transmits, and increases volume of, voices from one side to the other.
That explains it. The last time I would have been in that area was in the early to mid 60's and was a teenager so probably lacked any interest or hadn't heard of it. Work locations took care of most of the rest of my existence. Did spend a weekday year working in Nuriootpa mostly living in the Vine Inn so that would have been the closest.

Reactions: crackacoldie

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Definitely know that shop Bluey, and the cake & coffee one next door. Parents moved to the area in 1981 and some other family have been locals for quite a few years. Have stayed before at the Big4 on Tuitt Rd which is only a few minutes drive away and we're hoping to stay there again in a month or so if we can get out of here soon. None of the family have a parking area to set up in. Mum is in a Nursing Home nearby and Dad was there a few years back and passed away there. Used to go to the fish shop on the Esplanade at Snapper Pt on earlier visits South but then found out about the Aldinga Village one. Would take extreme hunger to go back to the other.