17' Series Breakes are not connected!!

Shame on me, after 2.000 km on the road it has been the first time I actually had a look underneath our caravan.

Handbreak:
The cable for the handbreak is only connected to front wheels, not to the rear ones. Normal?

Electric breakes:
3 out of 4 are connected. The fourth might got hit by a stone. Easy to fix? Does it matter which cable is connected to which? Colorcoding doesn’t make sense or is already fainted.

Cheers and safe travels!
JLJ

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
It is normal for the handbrake to only be connected to the front axle. Not sure on the colour code, one will be positive and one to earth being a DC circuit polarity will need to be correct.

Reactions: Jack Lucy & Josh

Luke.sleeman

Jan 14, 2019
Victoria
Hmmmm, I don't know enough about the breaks to be able to tell you what will happen if you put them the wrong way around. It could be anything from "works fine" to "ohhhhhhh that's not good!!!".

However it should be very easy to figure out which one is which with a multimeter. Set it to measure DC voltage and connect the multimeter probes to the wires. Get somebody to press the breaks in the car. If the multimeter reads 12v it's the right way around. It it's -12v you have the wires swapped.

Luke.sleeman

Jan 14, 2019
Victoria

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
I don't know why, but polarity doesn't matter with electric brakes - (I think it is something about DC power)!

The humming sound should be there when you put your foot on the brakes - you don't have to be moving. Although if you do drive on loose gravel and brake, all 4 wheels should skid in the gravel! The alternate way to test it by one person - is to jack up the wheel and pull out the breakaway lead/plug on your drawbar - this should put the brake on. Don't leave the breakaway plug out too long as they only last about 20 minutes before requiring recharging.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
So long as the join/ connectors are clean it doesn't matter, its a magnet, with wheels chocked, get close to the wheel so you can hear, get some to put foot on brake or activate button on controller, you should hear a click when the magnet locks onto the hub..OR have kids/wife walk beside van as you move it slowly and activate brake controller while still moving, wheels should skid, better to test on dirt.....using a meter will tell you if you have power but not if brake is working.
When you start to move off you should always activate the van brakes to get them to pull you up as a test, using controller not tug brake, this is the fool proof way of making sure, it always checks that you have hooked up properly, better for things to fall off at 5 kph than 50kph.....
Drive safe mate.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
My wife slowly drove and I listened to the “humming” wheel. Changed wires and all sounded perfectly.
How does that sound to you?
Sounds like you have it sorted hows it braking to you now its fixed compaired to before probly the same ????
Its ok saying bye a multi meter but ive got one never known how to use it what setting to have it on for diffrent things so i never use it im not good at electrical stuff

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats the thing @Bluey while carrying spares you may not know how to fit is one thing as a mechanic can use them and save you days of waiting, things like multi meters are not much chop if you can't work it, no use having one in case someone comes along as most who know how have one in their bag anyway.........

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
If only one wheel is braking then you will feel the van pull to one side. Another way to tell if both are working or only one.

We are at a horsefarm for the next week but as soon as we start travelling again I will check on the breakes with all your hints and tips. But something that I have realised so far is that the handbreak doesn’t do its job. I pull it really heard and when I forget loosening it I can still drive away without jammed wheels.

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Maybe the adjuster needs to be tightened. At the end of the brake handle there is usually an adjuster - ie loosen the 2 nuts and wind it in (tighten the cable)!

Reactions: millers

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
I am not sure that the hand brake is capable of stopping the van when being towed. Definitely adjust the cable to make sure that the hand brake is off when off (loose but not too loose) and the only thing stopping it being tighter is the force on the brakes (is able to exert braking forces and not limited by handle movement).

I believe that the hand brake is there to stop it rolling away on reasonably level ground. I will admit I have towed a trailer with the hand brake applied and the wheels do not lock up. Fortunately did not go too far and was able to correct the problem. But the wheels will get very hot. Also not sure if hand break for a tandem is front wheels only so hand brake will have halve the braking force the electic breaks as a maximum.

It should feel like you are towing up a hill on flat ground. To my knowledge I have not done it to the Expanda, but mine is a single axle.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If your brakes aren't working well and the handbrake isn't holding well either then it does mean the first thing thats needed is brake adjustment at the wheel before adjusting the handbrake cable...I would do all of them actually................ Mine were not working all that great last weekend so the other day I had to jack each wheel up and adjust the brakes till they locked the wheel then backed off a couple of clicks so it would spin, last service I wound them off a click or 2 too far, it doesn't take much .......... it's a mongrel job I reckon...................make sure all wheels are chocked and its a good idea to be hooked onto the tug so things don't move while your jacking...............

here's some handy links with pics, you even get some bonus information........but to adjust your brakes there is no need to pull wheel and hub off....

https://www.caravanworld.com.au/features/1706/repairing-your-van-s-drum-brakes

http://www.alko.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Electric_Brake_Handbook.pdf
Once brakes adjusted then adjust your hand brake cable so the lever goes into the 6th or 7th slot, you want the cable to be loose when you have it off or it could cause the brakes to drag.

Last edited:
Reactions: MDS69 and millers

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
We are at a horsefarm for the next week but as soon as we start travelling again I will check on the breakes with all your hints and tips. But something that I have realised so far is that the handbreak doesn’t do its job. I pull it really heard and when I forget loosening it I can still drive away without jammed wheels.

@Jack Lucy & Josh , it is very easy to drive away with the "hand brake" on as not enough force is applied to really jam the wheel to lock up point. As someone has said, they are only to prevent the van from rolling around when on slightly sloping ground. When you drive off with van brake on, after a while, you may see smoke coming from wheels and the smell when you stop is unmistakable!! However, even this will not occur if brakes are not adjusted (and they will need re-adjusting after being burnt!!). I suggest that you follow @Drover's advice for full and proper adjustment as you still have a long way to go in this big country. And remember to check hand brake on van every time before you start and when you stop. Safe motoring.

Reactions: millers