Electrical Brake Controller Issue

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Hey Guys
Long time since I've been on here but I have a question for all the Auto eleco's here.

My brake lights are staying on and the screen on My tekonsha p3 is doing a bit of a flash dance now and then, when I disconnect the controller the brake lights go out and back to normal.
Does this sound like the controller???

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hey Guys
Long time since I've been on here but I have a question for all the Auto eleco's here.

My brake lights are staying on and the screen on My tekonsha p3 is doing a bit of a flash dance now and then, when I disconnect the controller the brake lights go out and back to normal.
Does this sound like the controller???
I have a P3.
First step is to use the comprehensive diagnostics in the P3.

Have a look at the voltage on the brake controller activation wire. I forget what it is called in the diagnostics.
This is the wire that is connected to the P3 from either the brake pedal or the brake lights of the vehicle.

The manual lever on the P3 will send 12V back out on that wire to turn the brake lights on.
The P3 has a lifetime warranty. You just need the receipt. They will organise a changeover at a retailer close to you.

take care
Mike

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
I have a P3.
First step is to use the comprehensive diagnostics in the P3.

Have a look at the voltage on the brake controller activation wire. I forget what it is called in the diagnostics.
This is the wire that is connected to the P3 from either the brake pedal or the brake lights of the vehicle.

The manual lever on the P3 will send 12V back out on that wire to turn the brake lights on.
The P3 has a lifetime warranty. You just need the receipt. They will organise a changeover at a retailer close to you.

take care
Mike
cheers mate!
At roughly ten years old I'd be buggered i I know where the receipt would be!
Always wanted to give a Redarc Towpro a go!8-)

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
It's not something simple like the manual lever sticking?
From memory, when you move the lever even slightly, you can hear the relay click in which activates the brake lights.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Is that with something plugged into the trailer plug or not?? either way I would start at the plug then work back to the controller isolate everything , I have never seen the advantage of paying a hundred bucks more for a Redarc actually, see no advantage............. I had one set of brake lights not working on tug and that was a dodgy side light bulb on van so mysterious things happen.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Is that with something plugged into the trailer plug or not?? either way I would start at the plug then work back to the controller isolate everything , I have never seen the advantage of paying a hundred bucks more for a Redarc actually, see no advantage............. I had one set of brake lights not working on tug and that was a dodgy side light bulb on van so mysterious things happen.
This is just in the car without a trailer even near it!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If not a spider nest in socket it could be the controller...Me being a lazy bugga if I replaced it i would use the same brand so long as the plugs were the same.....

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Always wanted to give a Redarc Towpro a go
Had P3 x 2 previously, very happy with them. Got blinded by the Tow Pro hype this time around, so took that path. End of the first leg of the first trip couldnt get it out fast enough, it terrified me. Belted 2 holes thru the dash of a brand new car with a screwdriver in the c/park to mount another P3, before i would tow again. I hated it.

Others swear by them, ill swear at them

Reactions: Drover

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Had P3 x 2 previously, very happy with them. Got blinded by the Tow Pro hype this time around, so took that path. End of the first leg of the first trip couldnt get it out fast enough, it terrified me. Belted 2 holes thru the dash of a brand new car with a screwdriver in the c/park to mount another P3, before i would tow again. I hated it.

Hi,

I am also happy with my P3. Got mine online from Autoelec down in Bairnsdale.

Fortunately, I have a Falcon and it fits perfectly in the centre console where I can reach the override brake lever in a hurry.

The only disadvantage is that they take up a bit of space that may not be available on somel vehicles.

take care
Mike

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi,

I am also happy with my P3. Got mine online from Autoelec down in Bairnsdale.

Fortunately, I have a Falcon and it fits perfectly in the centre console where I can reach the override brake lever in a hurry.

The only disadvantage is that they take up a bit of space that may not be available on somel vehicles.

take care
Mike
The Troopy has ample realestate. I had limited room in the Navara, but made it work.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
First I had a P2 in a couple of vehicles now a P3, it works well, plug van in and never touch the thing, brakes work and its heaps of $$$ less than a Redarc, just doesn't come with a bumper sticker.. stuck off to side of steering wheel in easy grab reach if needed.

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley

Interested in what you didn't like about the redarc, I have one in my Jeep as well as the Silverado and haven't had any problems.

Reactions: DRW

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I think @Crusty181 was having a dig at me, I’m a Redarc fan and wouldn’t use anything else but it must be installed properly
Ill may have fired the odd shot over your bow, but this time around its a genuine dislike.

@WHHEMI The Tow Pro was very inconsistant, un-nerving, unreliable, but the deal breaker was as the car was accelerating toward 130kph hurtling down a hill toward a sub 90kph bend, the controller doing SFA and the override intermittantly locking up the van .... that was enough for me. The P3 isnt perfect by any stretch, but not 1 of the 3 of them ive owned ever left me with that feeling that i just might not make it home.

Reactions: WHHEMI