Brake Controller / Breakaway Charge Light

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi all, just wondering if any one has a brake controller with a breakaway battery charge monitor built in?

I am going to be putting a battery charge monitor in the car for the new van as required in NSW but was wondering if any of the break controllers out there have one built in?

Also if anyone has a breakaway system on a Jayco what battery charge monitor setup setup do you have?

Thanks!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
So found out that Jayco Installs the breaksafe 6000 for new vans as standard from rvelectronics.

http://www.rvelectronics.com.au/page.asp?parentid=3&parent2id=70

But the breaksafe does not come pre wired to the trailer pin for the battery monitor option so you need to run a wire from the brakesafe unit to the trailer plug.

For anyone asking what the battery monitor is its only for NSW, it measures the charge capacity of the breaksafe battery unit and notifies you when its good and bad by audible and lights from the monitor.

http://www.rvelectronics.com.au/page.asp?parentid=3&parent2id=72

I must stress again this is only a requirement in NSW no other states requires it other than NSW!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I made enquiries yesterday where I'll be getting my blue slip from and the bloke said "yes it is required, but is a technicality, just bring it around." I also need to get it weighed even though jayco have Tare, ATM and GVM of my van.....what a pain! Also any van with breakaway system needs to be inspected by a "heavy vehicle" inspection station. I will look into battery monitor for breakaway after rego.

IMO if you have breakaway fitted, why wouldn't you keep a check on state of charge while it sits at home, what's the point of being all packed and hitched ready to go away only to have this inboard monitor tell you the battery is flat....then what? I dont have ours yet but ive heard you can check state of battery with a push of a button on the van? I did see something on here about it connected to setek unit for charge on 240V or while travelling, so I wouldn't think charging would be an issue in any circumstance! Not saying it's not a good idea and I know it's law in "NSW" but seems a bit silly to me!

Cheers.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Burnsy,

Yes, there is a big button on the brake away controller that tests it and the battery level.

Best it forms part of your monthly maintenance/inspection cycle anyway.

Cheers,

Rohan

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hey burnsey. I'm in 2 minds about this as safety is a big issue. Re the charging I'm pretty sure it charges off your car (pin 2?) So could possible go flat in storage. The battteries would also. have a limited life so eventually will need replacing. However, a light and buzzer on the unit should do the trick I would think.
Re your weight. My guy was happy with the jayco weigh bridge receipt. Try that.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks relgate, will look into it! Hopefully will get weight cert....Geelong didn't seem to think i would?

Cheers mate.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thanks relgate, will look into it! Hopefully will get weight cert....Geelong didn't seem to think i would?

Cheers mate.

What I had was a small piece of paper, about the size of a receipt that was (I guess) the printout from the Jayco weigh bridge. It was just sitting in my van in the cutlery tray with all the Allen keys and remote controls.

Good luck!