VIC Bluegums Caravan Park - Eildon

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
We stayed here for the shake down last weekend.

A reasonably large park, but mostly fixed permanent holiday homes. There was a section at the front for vans, and very large area in the middle for tents, and then a section at the back for vans and booked tent sites.
I'm told it came under new management sometime within the last 3 years or so, and they opened up the section at the back overlooking the Golburn River. This is where we were. There are basically three rows here - 1 for about a dozen vans, and then two rows of booked tent sites.
There is a basic playground, plus volleyball net and a pair of average sized pools.
I only dealt with the staff over the phone when booking. The office was closed when we arrived and never went in to the office of the weekend. In that brief experience, they were friendly and helpful.

The site we had was pleasant, close to the river, open paddock behind, reasonably spread from adjoining vans. Amenities and camp kitchen about 200 meters away (too far).

However, amenities were bad!!
4 showers, in various stages of disrepair and 4 male cubicles. 1 urinal that was a big muddy puddle by late afternoon, (cleaning at 11am) and the missus said it looked like 3 cubicles in the ladies was overflowing with mess all around. A second batch of amenities at the front of the site were apparently better, I'm guessing because their patronage was less serving the van spots at the front, and not all the tents plus our section. And it was far from even half full in occupants. I saw there was a new building being framed next to our amenities, which may be more facilities, but can't confirm.
(It was enough to make the missus suggest we should've bought a van with a shw and wc) :D:

It was interesting to see a *huge* number of the permanents up for sale. Apparently they used to be snapped up within days of going up for sale.

Next time, I'd stay at Thornton instead. (From outside only, appears to be more pleasant with direct access to the river)

Not highly impressed.... 2/5

http://www.bluegums.com.au/

few photos to come once resized

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
unfortunately, the photos of the overall area we were failed to work.
DSCF5028_resize.JPG DSCF4974_resize.JPG
The main camping area & paddock behind

DSCF4980_resize.JPG DSCF4982_resize.JPG
Goulburn River (kayak course)

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Stayed there also and yes the amenities weren't the best, probably the worst out of where we have stayed. We normally look for the "chains" - Big 4, Top Tourist Parks etc as they seem to have better quality facilities. You pay for it but thats life!

Also, some of the powered sites only had 10 amp power supply so needed Amp-fibian!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
We have stayed there also and would have to agree with amenities. I walked up to permanents amenities block in the end and found these ones better.
Some other points:
- Great central location for planning day trips in the area.
- I think the Vic or national kayak association do all their training in the river there so you can imagine the rapids created to facilitate this. Great for adults but be aware if you have slightly younger kids where you would generally be happy for them to float down a river unsupervised.
- This is a dog friendly park.

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
We have stayed there a few times in the past year. Obviously the facilities at the top end of the park have been updated, best ive seen anywhere. Each shower has it's own toilet and vanity area, very spacious which is great when juggling three kids showers.

I only wish that the powered sites extended to closer to the river. The powered sites are in gridlock pattern only 20mtrs or so from the back eildon road, lacks serenity. Some of the trees overhanging the sites need cutting back also. The open area for non powered camping is very good and we found the swimming pools to be excellent. The large cooking pavilion was very handy for our large group. The permanent sites are a a bit carny folk like but it appears to be improving.

All in all, we enjoy it.