Bike Racks??

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Ok, so everyone who has a Fiamma on the back of there expanda holding bikes I would like to know how they have stood up to the test of time???

Seen there was a few 14's from a little while back with them on so very interested on how they are going now and if there has been any issues with them.

Also does Jayco put any bracing where they mount the carrier??

Thanks all!

satyoga

Aug 3, 2011
Sunshine Coast
We have only had ours 4 months but is holding up well
Not sure on the bracing but it must be strengthened or bolted to exsisting bracing that is capable
Had only one issue of overtightening the plastic knobs and pulling a nut out but got that sorted.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Ok, so everyone who has a Fiamma on the back of there expanda holding bikes I would like to know how they have stood up to the test of time???

Seen there was a few 14's from a little while back with them on so very interested on how they are going now and if there has been any issues with them.

Also does Jayco put any bracing where they mount the carrier??

Thanks all!

Hey Expanda

Like most who have the Fiamma rack I was disappointed at first with having to remove a peddle and twist the handlebars on one bike to get it all to fit neatly. But after doing it a few times it now seems no trouble at all. I have had no problems at all with the rack so far, it holds the bikes very securely and when we have be followed by friends they tell me the bikes sit well with very little movement. I don't think jayco use any extra bracing other than the mounting brackets that come with the rack. from memory there are rectangular plates on the inside of the van which are then neatened up with a rubber cover. overall i am very happy so far.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Had ours since last June and use it nearly everytime we go away now (about 50 nights). Not much rough road use though.

So far so good, no major issues with the rack excpet it was mounted over the number plate. If you get one make sure it is well clear of the number plate as we can't get bike rack number plates for trailers and caravans in NSW. Every other state can. Jayco had to move our number plate and wiring which was a pain in the bum!

When i ordered my van i was told to order the bike rack with the van so they could put extra bracing in when building the van. Not sure if this is true or not but makes sense.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thanks everyone!!!

I was just worried about overall strength but it seems like they are holding up so should be good.

We have added it to the discovery order, with the discovery the spare is on the rear so if you order the bike rack from factory they also move the spare to the front A-Frame like the expanda and add the bracing underneath. I would have liked to leave the spare on the back as having it up front hinders me putting a tool box etc on the front but the kids need there bikes :).

I might not put a tool box on the front but might put another two bike rack on the A-Frame so I can carry 4 bikes so that might be ok.

Ill be sure they don't hide the number plate :)!!!

So you need to remove a peddle and twist the handle bars to get them to fit? Is actually just moving the wheel or do you physically need to loose the handle bars and twist?