20' Series Best Factory mods 20.64-1

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
Been umm'ing and arr'ing for 12 month on upgrading to a 20.64-1 OB as the 16.67-1 OB is really to small as we have a 2nd child due in 3 months.

Need to start my research again and now seriously map out those factory mods worth doing at the dealer so not to affect our payload etc, ie, 2 x 12v batteries, 3rd tank etc type stuff.

I recall vaguely things like lights or power points in select locations as access later is to hard.

So ideally after those mods for a 20.64-1 but other general mods welcome.

List so far

1- Ext drawerbar
2- 2 x 12v batteries
3- 2nd spare wheel

Thanks

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
We have a 20.64 and this is the list of extra we put in
Extended drawbar
Extra battery
2 x 150 watt solar panels
Upgrade to ibis aircon
Waeco 185 l fridge
Outside entertainment unit
Rear bike rack
Washing machine
Shelves in the wardrobe next to the fridge
Extra TV
Extra water tank
Outside shower
Bed fly
Extra light above the outside shower

Ultimately the extras you get will depend on what you are going to do with it and what you can afford. We free camp a bit so wanted the extra power and water. And also wanted to not have to go back and have to get extra gear fitted later. I believe all the accessories fitted before the van leaves the factory are included in its GVM etc. We went for the Waeco because of previous bad experiences with 3 way fridges.

Hope this helps, enjoy.

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
We have a 17.55.8 Journey OB and optioned it up a bit, different van but it might give you some ideas.
Oven instead of standard grill
Deleted microwave for more storage
Shelves in both wardrobes
12v outlet in bathroom
2 100 amph batterys
Outside table
Bike rack
Extended draw bar
Upgraded solar pannel to 150w
Full annex

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
Red,

Why is the IBIS air considered better then the standard ? On my 16.67-1 I have a Dometic and it seems great ?

I like your idea of going the Waeco as again, I am not a fan of the three way fridges coming from a 4WD background with Engels. But I normally have the Engelnin the car anyway.

Good tips about shelves and access holes.

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
The ibis is a proper reverse cycle unit(according to our dealer) . I am not sure what that means technically, but it works better than the dometic we had in the swan

CrazyMOBB

Feb 2, 2014
Matcham, Central Coast, NSW
Get an access door installed on rear tunnel boot, back right hand side. Just had one fitted after market and the best mod ever. Maybe even get some cupboard doors to access the rear tunnel boot from inside too. That's the next mod when I stop painting the house.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
The post above reminded me. We have the full sized fridge, larger solar, get another battery, access doors to under bed storage both front and back (we got ones to the back bed storage but didn't think about the front one and now wish we did) possibly external access to under bunk storage, external table near the double power points that are useful,spare on rear bumper and the vital one, check how the pot draw (the one under the stove) has its runners attached. Ours broke on the Gibb as they are plastic. Runners were only placed on the plastic holders , there was no cabinet for the draw at all, best to check

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Following on from other comments, depends on money, how you intend to use it, and climate.
We stuck with the standard fridge and aircon. Both have worked ok here in SA but can't comment for say FNQ. Fridge often so cold that stuff in top of fridge freezes. For heating, we prefer to use small fan heater or oil radiator and electric blankets during the night to keep noise to a minimum.
Extra water tanks are a cheapish extra that generates big increase in weight capacity even if you don't need the capacity.
12v sockets are easy to fit yourself as is a radio etc. maybe get a tv mount even if not the tv.

CrazyMOBB

Feb 2, 2014
Matcham, Central Coast, NSW
image.jpeg

Best mod ever. A must.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I looked but can't see what the suggestion is.

Maybe I'm slow...or blind.

Sorry!

Reactions: WHHEMI

jbell6660

Apr 30, 2011
Sydney
We have a 17.55.8 Journey OB and optioned it up a bit, different van but it might give you some ideas.
Oven instead of standard grill
Deleted microwave for more storage
Shelves in both wardrobes
12v outlet in bathroom
2 100 amph batterys
Outside table
Bike rack
Extended draw bar
Upgraded solar pannel to 150w
Full annex
WHHEMI how does the annex fit considering Journeys are a Poptop?? Is there a second piece for between the awning bar and awning?? NOTE I have moved my post to Jayco Journey Section. Please reply on there. Cheers.

Reactions: WHHEMI