Best (easiet) route from Mildura to Bendigo

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hey guys,

Part of our trip home from SA in Nov, we will be stopping over at Mildura for a day or 2, then heading to Bendigo so see friends.

What's the best road to tow the van? The 3 main ways seem much the same in terms of time so is there a preferred route (better roads, dual carriage, more sights to see - its only 4 1/2 hours drive so stopping on the way as a tourist is a possibility)

upload_2017-7-25_14-28-52.png

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hey guys,

Part of our trip home from SA in Nov, we will be stopping over at Mildura for a day or 2, then heading to Bendigo so see friends.

What's the best road to tow the van? The 3 main ways seem much the same in terms of time so is there a preferred route (better roads, dual carriage, more sights to see - its only 4 1/2 hours drive so stopping on the way as a tourist is a possibility)

View attachment 56120
Hi @Macca_75,
we have taken the Penguin from Bendigo to Ouyen on the A79 which is the shortest and fastest route.
We came back through a lot of the route through Donald and that road is also good.

Haven't taken the third route along the Murray so can't help with that one.

Are you intending to do it in one day? I know of a few nice free campings along both the routes I have traveled on.
There are heaps of places along the Murray but I haven't been to any of them yet.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: Macca_75

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Planning on 1 day. If we do stay over on the Murray it will mean cutting our time at the Flinders Ranges short by a day - something we might decide to do anyway. I want to leave the planning a little fluid and the van is setup for free camping anyway

mrsmfexpanda

May 27, 2015
Brookfield
Wouldn't do the birchip _ Donald road as last year was very bumpy narrow and poorly maintained with lots of pot holes, the murray through nyah tooleybuc etc lots of free camps etc and no probs with the road and no probs with charlton wedderburn lots of pretty little towns some free camping gold prospecting etc your choice

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
We go to Mildura to visit the in laws pretty regularly the Calder is the shortest direct route from Bendigo. We usually stop in Wycheproof they have a little park in town with some aviaries so the kids can talk to the cockies and the peacocks. There are toilets and a reasonably easy to access parking area.

The back way, through Robinvale, the road is a bit rough on the NSW side. Usually see heaps of dead Roos. Swan Hill is a nice place to stop with riverside park, Pioneer Settlement (and Murray Downs over the river).

So.... If you've got a few hours or a day up your sleeve go through Swan Hill. If you just want to get there... Straight down the Calder.

Reactions: KECL and Macca_75