14' Series Beds

Mattanddeb

Mar 18, 2015
Victoria
We have a 14 ft expanda which we are seriously thinking of up grading just due to the fact we cannot get comfortable in it. We have 2 kids. Just got an annex to help for extra space. I just find the beds so uncomfortable in this van! Has anyone had a similar problem? I have put on our bed a woolen underlay and a mattress topper which has done nothing! are the mattresses the same in bigger model expandas? I know this has been brought up before but fresh ideas and advice would be great tia

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We have a 14 ft expanda which we are seriously thinking of up grading just due to the fact we cannot get comfortable in it. We have 2 kids. Just got an annex to help for extra space. I just find the beds so uncomfortable in this van! Has anyone had a similar problem? I have put on our bed a woolen underlay and a mattress topper which has done nothing! are the mattresses the same in bigger model expandas? I know this has been brought up before but fresh ideas and advice would be great tia
Hi @Mattanddeb and welcome.

If you search around, you’ll find the subject of hard and uncomfortable beds is very common.

We have a 2014 21.64-1 which also has a very uncomfortable mattress.

We originally had a foam mattress topper on there for about 18 months, but I still woke up with very sore hips in the morning.

I recently purchased an IKEA Tussoy memory foam topper - 8cm thick.

Spent 3 nights on it over the long weekend just gone, and it was fantastic.

Very comfortable, no sore hips and even SWMBO was happy with it.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Mattress comfort is a very subjective, and I suspect upgrading the van in the hoping of getting a more comfortable mattress would be a very expensive gamble. Case in point, my van is the same year, single ended version of @Bellbirdweb's van and I quiet like the mattress in ours as does the Princess. Everyone's version of comfortable to different

You sound like you otherwise enjoy your current van, visit a mattress manufacturer and have a replacement mattress custom made. If your lucky you may be able to have the manufacturer of your home mattress make you a van replica. It wont be cheap, but it will be cheaper than the gamble of a van upgrade.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Mattress comfort is a very subjective, and I suspect upgrading the van in the hoping of getting a more comfortable mattress would be a very expensive gamble. Case in point, my van is the same year, single ended version of @Bellbirdweb's van and I quiet like the mattress in ours as does the Princess. Everyone's version of comfortable to different

You sound like you otherwise enjoy your current van, visit a mattress manufacturer and have a replacement mattress custom made. If your lucky you may be able to have the manufacturer of your home mattress make you a van replica. It wont be cheap, but it will be cheaper than the gamble of a van upgrade.
I enquired with the Rockdale mattress factory to get a custom mattress manufactured for our van as we sleep on one of theirs at home.

It is around $800 so decided to see how the Ikea topper goes before spending the $$$

Reactions: Crusty181

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
How old is your van as some had different mattresses. Ours is 3 years old with a 50/50 split mattress and both the wife and I commented after 3 nights away just this last weekend that we were reasonably comfortable. Have also spent a 2 week trip away and multiple 2-3 nighters with no issue. No mattress topper or anything like that, just the mattress only.

Reactions: bigcol

Mattanddeb

Mar 18, 2015
Victoria
Hi @Mattanddeb and welcome.

If you search around, you’ll find the subject of hard and uncomfortable beds is very common.

We have a 2014 21.64-1 which also has a very uncomfortable mattress.

We originally had a foam mattress topper on there for about 18 months, but I still woke up with very sore hips in the morning.

I recently purchased an IKEA Tussoy memory foam topper - 8cm thick.

Spent 3 nights on it over the long weekend just gone, and it was fantastic.

Very comfortable, no sore hips and even SWMBO was happy with it.
I've
How old is your van as some had different mattresses. Ours is 3 years old with a 50/50 split mattress and both the wife and I commented after 3 nights away just this last weekend that we were reasonably comfortable. Have also spent a 2 week trip away and multiple 2-3 nighters with no issue. No mattress topper or anything like that, just the mattress only.

Mattanddeb

Mar 18, 2015
Victoria
Our van is a 2015 model split mattress. I've heard the IKEA mattress toppers are good. Gosh u think they would have done something about it by now!

Reactions: Delano

geedub

Aug 23, 2017
Sydney
I put the latex topper that we had on our camper trailer bed on the the expander 3 fold mattress in our Basestation. We just spent 3 nights on it and found it comfortable. The latex topper was expensive but it makes a huge difference.

GPM

Oct 6, 2017
Perth
We have a 16.49 and have fitted a foam egg shell topper from Spotlight - only $30, and it works a treat, very soft and comfy now.

Reactions: Caledapho

Elaine

Jul 17, 2017
bathurst
We have a 2006 Expanda and have had no problems with the mattresses. My main gripe is not being able to leave the bedding on when packed up

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
I purchased memory foam mattress toppers from 'Groupon' website - they advertise these periodically. We have the 'Ineer Spring' mattress and found the memory foam really helped similar at Clark Rubber was over $200 each and we got ours for approx. $90 each.

Reactions: Drover

GPM

Oct 6, 2017
Perth
We have a 2006 Expanda and have had no problems with the mattresses. My main gripe is not being able to leave the bedding on when packed up

We have the 'egg shell' foam topper on our bed and sheets + doona and easily fold up the beds with bedding attached- the trick istomake sure the folds in the mattress arenotobstructed, this means folding up thedoonaseveral times to fit in the gap... works a treat.

Reactions: 1DayIll

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Kogan have an array of mattress toppers that may be worth a look

They have an Ovela Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper (Queen size) for $139. Im not sure what the hell that is, but sounds cool

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
So just bought a Tuossoy topper to give it a go, seems okay with a 5-10min “nap”

My question is - how on earth do you guys still manage to fold up the bed with the topper on???? I’ve taken all bedding off, removed the little end foam piece, and done up the straps as hard as I can, and the bed end still won’t go all the way in!!

I really don’t want to have to remove and store the topper elsewhere in the van, I’d rather go back to a pillow topper and put up with a sore back.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
So just bought a Tuossoy topper to give it a go, seems okay with a 5-10min “nap”

My question is - how on earth do you guys still manage to fold up the bed with the topper on???? I’ve taken all bedding off, removed the little end foam piece, and done up the straps as hard as I can, and the bed end still won’t go all the way in!!

I really don’t want to have to remove and store the topper elsewhere in the van, I’d rather go back to a pillow topper and put up with a sore back.
This appears to vary from model to model. On my van it folds up fine with the topper and sheets on, we just take the doona's off. It is much bulkier than previously but I can still close the lid without any undue pressure.

I have seen posts from others however where they can't fold it up with the topper on the bed.

14" of Joy

Sep 28, 2017
Melbourne
This appears to vary from model to model. On my van it folds up fine with the topper and sheets on, we just take the doona's off. It is much bulkier than previously but I can still close the lid without any undue pressure.

I have seen posts from others however where they can't fold it up with the topper on the bed.
Same same. We leave sheet & topper on and she folds down sweet.

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
Make sure that the hoop folds down properly over the topper and matress. I found that mine was catching on the foam and it was a mongrel to close properly.

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
I have 2013 16.49-3 and no way I can leave topper or quilt on the bed. Full strip each time