17' Series Bed end storage options

SpizzandQ

Jun 18, 2018
NSW
Hi there,

So I've heard stories of ingenious ways people have used the base of the fold down bed ends as storage when they are in the upright positions, utilising the space between the bed base and covers. I have a 2017 17.56.2 and have placed items in there at rest including fold up tables and bench seats as well as brooms and mops. Has anyone out there done this and if so, what are your means for fixing the items securely to ensure there is not any damage to the items or van during travel? I have included a photo of a table simply held up by a couple of metal lips that I made to see if I had the space to close the cover. As a bonus, I'm looking at being able to keep the items secured to the bottom of the beds when they're folded down if I don't need to use the tables etc.

And if anyone is interested, I have also just fitted a diesel heater and it's fantastic.

IMG_8087.jpg

Apr 25, 2018
Cranebrook NSW
Hi spizzandq
I have exactly the same van and plan to do the same thing, especially with table and chairs, just haven’t had time to get around to doing it yet.
One thing I had thought of doing is buying awning rafter clips that are screwed to the van to place the rafter in and using 4 of these,(2 each side) screwed into the edge of under bed end, then use 2 ratchet straps, cut the hooks off them and feed the loop through the rafter clips and screw the clips back on, with a piece of aluminium angle all the way across, to do the same thing as your clips in the picture, add some spongey tape to prevent any damage.
This is what I have come up with so far, so I can leave table etc strapped in with bed folded down.
Just have to get some time to do it.
If you could post some pictures of your diesel heater install it would greatly be appreciated.
Ps if I get the bed ends done soon, I’ll post some pics, already brought the rafter clips.

Jake

Jun 20, 2018
Narellan
This is what I have done the tables are 600x1200 when folded out, I put the V in the strap so I can pull one out when the bed is down and the other stays in place.
BD2CC97E-AE57-45F6-82BA-48F83A90EE5C.jpeg
0DCE9EE5-4D40-46E9-B022-4B3ED410937C.jpeg
2686EBF5-D704-4E11-A9F9-44A16DA1FDAD.jpeg

Jake

Jun 20, 2018
Narellan
Hi jake
Thanks for adding the pics, exactly what I had in mind.
In the pic also have you moved your gas bottles and put a genie in between?

No the gas bottles are in the original position, I have the spare tyre in between them that is the tank for the diesel heater sitting on the tyre you can see in the pic.

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
I keep 2 tables in the front of my van. pieces of pool noodles work well. Nothing moves and nothing gets damaged.

Attachments

• tables.JPG
    tables.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 631

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Ive got a table the size of the bed end held up by cool room pannel alloy ends the table sits in it nicely and pin clips 2 of at the top very easy
But i also have 2 clips on the bed end not one holding up the bed end one clip is crap i reckon they should all have 2 anyway as for front end i wouldnt want to put much weight or anything to take it out of balance if you know what i mean as theres no clips brooms and stuff maybe but no tables but thats just me
2014 1756-2 outback

SpizzandQ

Jun 18, 2018
NSW
Thanks so much for the replies. I have gone ahead based on Simo's and Tam's strategy outlined above. It turns out everyone seems to be moving in the same direction.
I've fitted mine and I am about to get some protective tape so there is no damage to the tables or the underside of the bed ends or the covers. I have also included a pic of a little bracket I made up so the tie down can be fastened between the bench seats so they don't sag when the bed ends are down. The table is 600x1200 and the chairs are both 300x1200 so fit in there perfectly. I've used the front for this and the tables and chairs a ridiculously light. I also have another table in the back as well.

I have also included some pics of the diesel heater install. Happy to answer any questions about that too. Definitely a bit of 'heart in mouth' when you're jig-sawing a 150mm hole in the bottom of a $50k van!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_8205.JPG
    IMG_8205.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_8206.JPG
    IMG_8206.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_8207.JPG
    IMG_8207.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_8208.JPG
    IMG_8208.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_8019.JPG
    IMG_8019.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_8209.JPG
    IMG_8209.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_8211.JPG
    IMG_8211.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_8212.JPG
    IMG_8212.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_8213.JPG
    IMG_8213.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_8214.JPG
    IMG_8214.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 459
Reactions: Smirke

SpizzandQ

Jun 18, 2018
NSW
No the gas bottles are in the original position, I have the spare tyre in between them that is the tank for the diesel heater sitting on the tyre you can see in the pic.

Hi Jake, do you keep your storm covers on permanently? It looks like you have them hanging in one of your pictures.

HappyHour

Mar 16, 2018
kiama
hey mate i have a feew questions for you if thats ok?
what size screws did you use for your brackets in bed underside?
also what brand heated is that?

SpizzandQ

Jun 18, 2018
NSW
Hey HappyHour,

I have used 8G 20mm screws in the bed ends. I wanted to make sure there would be enough 'bite' to hold the table and chairs etc when the bed ends were down. The screws have not come through at all so the 20mm screw is perfect.

The heater is a Belief D2 Tuite. The link to the store where I bought it below. I sent them an email this morning at 7.58am and had a reply by 8.00am. They are a bit more expensive than the eBay ones etc but as mentioned in previous posts, their service is great.

Happy to answer any more questions.

Happy hunting!!

http://www.dieselheat.com.au/belief-tuite-2-2kw-air-heater/

Jake

Jun 20, 2018
Narellan

These are the screws I used assuming all the bed ends are the same thickness

Attachments

• 66C18F3D-7084-45EC-8F15-6473AC561AE3.jpeg
    66C18F3D-7084-45EC-8F15-6473AC561AE3.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 376

SpizzandQ

Jun 18, 2018
NSW
Hi @SpizzandQ the storm cover is permanently in there, I have two push studs that hold it up when closing the lid.
Hi @Jake,

Do you have clearance between the tables you have attached to the bed ends and the bed end lid? I have just run felt tape in the underside of my bed end lid as it touches my tables that I have attached. I'd be worried about the storm covers being damaged if they were sandwiched between the lid and table.

MarkAW

Jan 25, 2017
Point Cook
Thanks so much for the replies. I have gone ahead based on Simo's and Tam's strategy outlined above. It turns out everyone seems to be moving in the same direction.
I've fitted mine and I am about to get some protective tape so there is no damage to the tables or the underside of the bed ends or the covers. I have also included a pic of a little bracket I made up so the tie down can be fastened between the bench seats so they don't sag when the bed ends are down. The table is 600x1200 and the chairs are both 300x1200 so fit in there perfectly. I've used the front for this and the tables and chairs a ridiculously light. I also have another table in the back as well.

I have also included some pics of the diesel heater install. Happy to answer any questions about that too. Definitely a bit of 'heart in mouth' when you're jig-sawing a 150mm hole in the bottom of a $50k van!!!!
Nice work. What size diesel heater is that? Looking at getting one for our 16.49.4. How long did it take to install?

Jake

Jun 20, 2018
Narellan
Hi @Jake,

Do you have clearance between the tables you have attached to the bed ends and the bed end lid? I have just run felt tape in the underside of my bed end lid as it touches my tables that I have attached. I'd be worried about the storm covers being damaged if they were sandwiched between the lid and table.

I have about 20-25 mm, I ran a straight edge across the opening and the lid bows out so there is plenty of room, in 12 months it hasn’t even marked the storm cover. I am not sure how thick my tables are I can measure them if you need.

SpizzandQ

Jun 18, 2018
NSW
Nice work. What size diesel heater is that? Looking at getting one for our 16.49.4. How long did it take to install?
It's a 2.2kw. I was thinking about getting a 4kw but the guy I bought it off has an 18ft pop-top expanda and said the 2.2 was fine. Even in a Tassie Winter. He said the bigger ones don't like running on low very much and recommended the 2.2. So far I've used it in 6 degrees and only had it on it's 2nd of 7 settings so pretty happy with that.

The install took about 6 hours but we spent 2 hours measuring up and really making sure i had it in the right spot. If you look at the photos you can see a lot of permanent marker as we ;advanced' our accuracy. We also had to work through fuel line, exhaust and air intake positions etc. I'd be confident of doing it in 3 hours if I were to do it again. It does depend on some of the lines which run underneath. I had to slightly move water and gas. I simply removed a heap of saddles and created the space and clearance to drop the mounting plate through and then added the saddles again.

Reactions: MarkAW

SpizzandQ

Jun 18, 2018
NSW
I have about 20-25 mm, I ran a straight edge across the opening and the lid bows out so there is plenty of room, in 12 months it hasn’t even marked the storm cover. I am not sure how thick my tables are I can measure them if you need.
I'd never though to run a straight edge across the lid. I'll do that and check mine. I presume mine will bow out as well. No need to measure. I can see from your photos that my tables are thinner so something must be a bit different. Maybe the mattress is thicker and stops the bed end from leaning in as far. I'll look into it. Thanks for the info.

Jake

Jun 20, 2018
Narellan
I'd never though to run a straight edge across the lid. I'll do that and check mine. I presume mine will bow out as well. No need to measure. I can see from your photos that my tables are thinner so something must be a bit different. Maybe the mattress is thicker and stops the bed end from leaning in as far. I'll look into it. Thanks for the info.

I noticed your lid is smooth underneath mine is ribbed like the underside of a car bonnet if that makes sense.