Exterior Bed end canvas

Rick

Oct 19, 2014
Hi I have just bought a second hand expanda and the canvas bed ends has mould and is very dirty what is the best why to go about cleaning them?? I have thought about buying new ones but lots of $$$ were else other than jayco can they be bought from?? Thanks

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi @Rick and welcome to the forum.

A lot depends on the type of canvas but we had a mould issue with a canvas tent we had years ago and the following seemed to work (It did leave a slight stain but at least we got rid of the mould).

The first step is to let the canvas dry out in the sun to kill the mould & then brush the affected areas with a stiff brush.
When dry try a solution of soap and water... Let it soak in until nearly dry and wipe off with a wet rag or sponge.

If the soap doesn't work then try 50 mm of vinegar (White from memory) in 1 litre of water and spray on the mould. Let it soak in for 5 - 10 minutes and wipe or rinse off with fresh water. Would recommend to try a small area out of sight first!!!!!

Unfortunately any cleaning or scrubbing may remove the waterproofing (What???? I hear some ask..... The canvas is waterproof? :o) so you may need to re-seal/re-waterproof the canvas. Probably pay to call a Jayco dealer to find out the best waterproofing agent to use.

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
Rick I had the same problem with my 2nd hand expanda and recommend a product called 30 second from Bunnings etc. Spray on and hose off. You only need to scrub badly affected areas.
As has previously been said you will need to waterproof again after.

endgame

Nov 5, 2014
30 seconds is just bleech and it wotks well with mould.. just check the active ingredient when you are at bunnings and you csn purchase the same item forsbout 6 dollars instead of 30ish

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
@Smergen, Is your stain in the material of the awning. I have a stain in my awning and no amount of cleaning will get rid of it as it is in the mesh which is sandwiched in the awning. I have queried it with Jayco and am waiting for a response. Have a close look and if you can see little squares in the stain, then it is similar to mine.

Geoff

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks @macca hopefully not within the mesh but I will check. It look like a previous owner rolled it up whilst it was wet as the stains are quite "regular" and in line with the roll marks... More inspection required.