20' Series beach towing with the 20ft expanda full caravan.

mel charlton

Jul 8, 2018
kurnell
We are heading up to double island point, Teewah camping area towing an expanda that is just over 3 tonne probably more loaded with water. Towing vehicle is a 200 series land cruiser Sahara, im nervous taking such a heavy van through sand, has anyone had experience along this stretch with their expanda?

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have not done that stretch but I have taken mine on soft sand with my 200 (my van is about 400kg lighter though)
Put my tires down to 18 all round and along the flat sand no problems at all up slight hills if you stop then you might need a few maxtraxs or a mate with a snatch strap.
Pick your line and steady with the right foot.

mel charlton

Jul 8, 2018
kurnell
thanks we have got a group of us going we are the only ones with a van though. I know that one of the 4x4 has a winch not sure about a snatch strap might have to look into it.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If the weather wasn't so yucky up here at the moment I would take a run down the beach and have a lookie, last look a month ago the place was pretty chopped by the storms but sand should be back by now.......you can get potable water at Freshwater if you have some water jerry's to transport it, save dragging all that weight in van tanks. Don't forget the garbage bags and a rake to clean your site after the previous grubs that visited left paper everywhere.....
Have a great time at a great place for camping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Delano

mel charlton

Jul 8, 2018
kurnell
If the weather wasn't so yucky up here at the moment I would take a run down the beach and have a lookie, last look a month ago the place was pretty chopped by the storms but sand should be back by now.......you can get potable water at Freshwater if you have some water jerry's to transport it, save dragging all that weight in van tanks. Don't forget the garbage bags and a rake to clean your site after the previous grubs that visited left paper everywhere.....
Have a great time at a great place for camping.
I'm thinking of doing a test run the day before we take the van I have a feeling it will be chopped up because it's straight of the back of a long weekend

Reactions: Crusty181 and DRW

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
If it were me, I'd leave the pride and joy on the mainland so you can enjoy the beach driving rather than run the risk of resenting it.
Just my two bobs worth;)

Last edited:

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
thanks we have got a group of us going we are the only ones with a van though. I know that one of the 4x4 has a winch not sure about a snatch strap might have to look into it.
I don't know as I don't have a 200 series, but do they have suitable recovery points on the front of the car to snatch from? If not, better add those to.