18' Series Beach driving test run with Expanda

Brad77

Feb 9, 2016
Sydney
Hey guys,

Planning a trip to Fraser Island in Jan 19. 18.58-2 OB with 2015 Pajero. Keen to have a few trial runs on the beach. I am happy with beach driving, just want to try it with the van and see what the car and van are capable of. Will have a mate with me to assist is required.
Any suggestions for beaches to use as a test run. Im in Sydney. Was thinking Stockton maybe? Thoughts?

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Taking a van to Fraser can be hit and miss it just depends on what the beach is like, changes week to week sometimes, plus at that time of year the place gets pretty chopped up as thousands of vehicles make a mess of the place................time the tides right so you stay on the beach, we have very big tides then.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
I have driven Stockton a few times now and its probably a good place to go. The Northern end at Anna bay would be the go, sand is pretty firm up that way and its flat. There is plenty of room and heaps of others to help out if you get stuck. Stay away from the Lavis Lane entry as its softer and would be a real challenge to get a van up that first smallish dune.

Having said this Im always amazed when I see vans on beaches, Im not brave enough to ever try that but good luck to those who do.

Pete & Kath

Feb 23, 2015
Deniliquin
Hey Brad, I have taken a 16ft expanda onto Fraser up to Cathedrals, What you will need to keep an eye on is the cyclone activity over summer. It can really gouge the beach around the rock outcrops like Poyungan, Happy Valley etc. When we went we really relied on our mates to guide us through. Some of the toughest sand you will tackle is Inskip Point. Tyre pressures are important. I always run with 18 psi, for the car and the van. Like you have already been told, go onto the island at low tide. Hope you have a great time.

Reactions: Brad77

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Hey Brad, I have taken a 16ft expanda onto Fraser up to Cathedrals, What you will need to keep an eye on is the cyclone activity over summer. It can really gouge the beach around the rock outcrops like Poyungan, Happy Valley etc. When we went we really relied on our mates to guide us through. Some of the toughest sand you will tackle is Inskip Point. Tyre pressures are important. I always run with 18 psi, for the car and the van. Like you have already been told, go onto the island at low tide. Hope you have a great time.

What were you towing with @Pete & Kath

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
Leaving next week for Fraser, wanted to take the van, but tenting. Hopefully after checking it out, next trip will be in the van

Reactions: Brad77

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Damn stuff has been here for months, so I hope so too.........buy your permits online not at barge office and save heaps of $$$.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Overcast, light rain squalls, light winds making for yucky days so far this week, at least the sand should be nicely packed down..........sunny but cold (19) for Sunday they reckon @Swerve , really hope it improves tomorrow and the weekend though..............Goomboorian has the best priced fuel.

Optima

Jan 24, 2019
Bundaberg Qld
Hey Brad,
I head to Fraser every year, the key is tyre pressure, around 18 on the car and same on van.
I assume you will be heading from In skip, don’t tangled up in traffic all good, make sure you plan tides and the run is a highway.
Getting of the beach and up to a camp spot can be tricky just jump out and walk it.
Amazing place.
Enjoy