14' Series battery

Aug 20, 2016
Yackandandah
I thought I knew the answer to this but have been told different... will wy fridge run off my caravan batteries on DC? I didn't think they did but have been told different...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If it's a 3 way fridge then No it won't, well it can but it would flatten the battery in a short time no different than running it off the car battery without the engine running, they draw quite a bit of power..................depending on the model some do require a 12v source but this is minimal drain to run circuitry and is a must for it to operate but source is seperate to the fridge cooling power supply and comes from the van 12v circuit, while others require none at all being completly manual, spark for the gas being a piezo start.
If its an compressor fridge then they will run off the house batteries, usually require a couple of batteries and ideally solar to keep them topped up.

Aug 20, 2016
Yackandandah
Thanks guys, as I said i didn't think so but was talking to a couple who said their 3way did as they switched it over when going on the ferry across to tassie due to not allowed to run their fridge on gas on board.
Cheers Craig

Reactions: Drover

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Shouldnt be running anything on gas when travelling!
12V DC setting only for power coming from tug when engine running.
Normally fridge is cold enough to maintain reasonable temp when on a ferry.

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Thanks guys, as I said i didn't think so but was talking to a couple who said their 3way did as they switched it over when going on the ferry across to tassie due to not allowed to run their fridge on gas on board.
Cheers Craig

Hi @Craig and Leanne , all correct as above. Do not get mixed up with my post about a 2002 Kedron which I wrote about when friend spoke to me about it. They have to open up their van when they stop and switch off the 12 volt battery system in the van to prevent their 3 way fridge from flattening the van battery. (Or switch it over to gas!!!) . A silly system IMHO, but that was an early model Kedron. Most (if not all Jayco???) have the 12 volt system connected to the fridge only from the tug! There is not normally any 12 volt connection from the van battery to the fridge heating terminals. Don't know how the later Kedrons are wired, but am helping my friend change his set up to the same as Jayco. Will make his wife very happy that way, as @Marv_mart said above..

Reactions: Craig and Leanne