Battery / Inverter Recommedations - assistance sort

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
Before posting this I spent an hour searching the site, "battery" brings up so many responses......

So CooTay (2009 14.44.2 purchased 2nd hand) hasnt got a battery installed - nor the wiring.....
Previously I pulled the SETEC out, located the Battery terminals and ran some wires to a battery (borrowed from my boat). To my surprise, the lights worked! So now I need to get ready for a weekend of free camping the first week of March.
With the rugrat still on the bottle I need the microwave working, no AirCon so not an issue, Fridge has been tested on Gas and works a treat and will be ordering LED light bulbs this week.

I would be charging (on home charger) the battery before any trip.

My questions are

1. Can I use my boat battery, is it dangerous (fumes wise), its a standard battery?

2. What size Power Inverter, will 1500w suffice or should I just go the 2500w? Ive seen calculations to work it out but I can't see any readings on the LG Microwave re wattage. Besides the Microwave (30seconds), the lights, TV and Satellite box.

3. If its not advisable to use the boat battery, what recommendations, type, size, brand, supplier (NSW) that will work with the previous question and run what I need for three days?

4. Should I install a battery switch to turn it off when we leave the van on day trips?

5. Can I run an extension lead from the inverter out to the Expandas external 240v input to then run all power points? How does this work with the Setec being connected to the Battery and running the lights? or have I just confused myself.....

Currently no solar, may purchase later - but free camping will be limited to a long weekend at the best.

Thanks in advance - Scott

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hi Cootay using your boat battery would be ok if it was an agm battery , you cant or shouldnt use a battery that vents - BANG also its the start up of a microwave that sucks the power ie even with a 3000w inverter .
My suggestion if you want the microwave buy a genny

Reactions: Cootay

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I'd forgo the 240v dependent appliances (A/C & microwave) if you're planning any free camping at all. Suggest you look at one or two 100A/h sealed AGM deep cycle batteries and solar panel(s) for your LED lighting, pump, TV, phone charging, etc.) and use gas for HWS, fridge & stove. Maybe try a thermos jug/dream pot etc., of hot water to warm bub's bottle.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
1. Can I use my boat battery, is it dangerous (fumes wise), its a standard battery?

While you could use the boat battery I would strongly advise against it. It will be a battery designed to deliver high current for short periods which is not suited for van use. Yes it would be very very dangerous to use a wet cell battery in an unvented space.

What size Power Inverter

I Don't run an inverter so not sure how big you will need. Have a look at this thread and post in there. I'm sure you will get an answer.

3. If its not advisable to use the boat battery, what recommendations, type, size, brand, supplier (NSW) that will work with the previous question and run what I need for three days?

Thats a bit like asking how long is a piece of string :) it will depend on what you run and how often. I would look at at least a 100ah AGM or Gel deep cycle battery (AGM is best). In general you should install the largest you can afford/fit, not too many people complain about having excess power available. Remember that inverters are very power hungry so you should use it sparingly.

4. Should I install a battery switch to turn it off when we leave the van on day trips?

it is good practice to provide some way to quickly isolate your battery. have a look at this thread for some info on battery installation. there should be no need to turn off your battery switch while away.

5. Can I run an extension lead from the inverter out to the Expandas external 240v input to then run all power points? How does this work with the Setec being connected to the Battery and running the lights? or have I just confused myself.....

Yes you can plug your inverter into the van 240v input with an extension lead. You must turn off the setec where it plugs in to 240v if you are hooking your inverter into the van. everything else (lights etc)will just use the battery.

With no solar or similar to charge your battery while away you should remember to recharge your battery as soon as you have 240v available. It can be damaging to the battery to have it discharged for longer than necessary .

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
Thanks to all for the comments and feedback, after BPs posting I thought about the whole microwave thing. For a once a day bottle (that she'll grow out of in six months) I'll find another option for heating the bottle. Going to grab a 2500 inverter and 120ah battery and just see how it all works... I'll take some torches if the satellite box and stereo drain the battery over two days (and some earplugs to block the missus compaints) :lalala: