Battery install advice 16.49.2 Where and how to install battery box

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
Ok I would like some advice on securring the 12v battery I would like it to go under the seat as close as possible to the st20 unit I have.

If you have any pics of your set up that would be great.

tjaliwalpa

Feb 6, 2010
Ok I would like some advice on securring the 12v battery I would like it to go under the seat as close as possible to the st20 unit I have.

If you have any pics of your set up that would be great.

Interesting issue. I know Jayco and others put the battery next to the ST20. Let's say everything goes well and the battery and ST20 works as designed - no issue. But if one or the other malfunctions and causes the battery to build up pressure and release gas (as the battery is designed to do in unforeseen circumstances) then you have a potential disaster. The gas released and an electrical device nearby is likely to result in an explosion and potential disaster. Even the makers of the ST20 warn of having a battery in the same area as their power supplies.

I know this is controversial but certainly worth considering.

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
Interesting issue. I know Jayco and others put the battery next to the ST20. Let's say everything goes well and the battery and ST20 works as designed - no issue. But if one or the other malfunctions and causes the battery to build up pressure and release gas (as the battery is designed to do in unforeseen circumstances) then you have a potential disaster. The gas released and an electrical device nearby is likely to result in an explosion and potential disaster. Even the makers of the ST20 warn of having a battery in the same area as their power supplies.

I know this is controversial but certainly worth considering.

I am planning on using a sealed AGM battery which I am lead to believe do not release any gases

tjaliwalpa

Feb 6, 2010
I am planning on using a sealed AGM battery which I am lead to believe do not release any gases

Yes, you are correct. But the issue is if something goes wrong, these batteries are designed with a vent that will release hydrogen if there is an overcharging malfunction. While not common, if it occurs, there can be disasterous consequences.

There is a minimal risk, but never the less it is a risk. A sealed box vented to the outside of the van will reduce the risk to zero. Worth considering.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
In the first year of my apprentership (not quite when dinosaurs rulled the earth as my kids seem to think ) I had the rather nasty experience of a battery exploding while I was removing it from a vehicle. It was an important lesson learned the hard way. Back then with only wet cell batteries in use there was no question about battery box ventilation, it was a must do if you were to avoid a potentially explosive situation.

Today with the advances in battery tecnology many van manufacturers seem to have given up treating batteries as a source of potential hazard and mount them with little reguard for ventilation or what electrical devices may be nearby. A well made AGM battery in use today is indeed very safe as far as batteries go and will not release gas while working under normal operating paramaters. As Tjaliwalpa correctly points out above, problems can occure when the battery is forced to work outside those parameters. This leads us to the controversial area of the debate and it can be quite a hot topic too as can be seen on this thread from another forum.

The battle lines are very clear with one side saying the risk is so low that if you are worried about it you probably should not even get out of bed as you are probably be more likely struck by lightning etc etc. The other side countering with the risk is none the less there and can be reduced by a few simple steps.

So where does this leave you Borstalboy apart from very confused and feeling a headache coming on :) There can be no doubt that the safest method is to use a sealed battery box and correctly vent it to the outside or at least vent the area where the battery is to be mounted. Whether you do that or accept what seems to be the norm for many van manufacturers at this time and simply put the battery in a box and mount it wherever is most convinent is a choice you have to make.

In my 14 the battery wiring was done by jayco. they put the battery in an unsealed plastic box under the seat and have made no extra attempt to vent the area.
Am I losing sleep wondering when the ticking bomb will go off.... no
Would i have prefered jayco to have made an effort to vent the area.... yes

So there you have it, lots of text and no real soloution. Sorry borsta, if you can't decide which way to go perhaps a visit to your local sparky is in order. Electric Guru I would be interested on your thoughts on the subject.

Borsta You could also fit a volt meter in the van to monitor the battery condition this would help in detecting an overcharging situation.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Get a plastic battery Box - Screw it to the floor near your setec unit under the seat and drop the battery in it....

Job Done... Thats the way Jayco would do it and the way 99% of the members on the forum will have done it.

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
What I have decided to do is install a false floor using ply that fits tight inbetween Setec unit housing and air con unit as well as hard up against wall and the seat wall, so that it can not move at all. Then I am going to attach battery box to the ply so that way there will be no extra holes in the floor of my van. I will post pics when finished

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Hi borstaboy,

We have the 14:44-3 and out batteries are installed in the wardrobe with a false cover over them. Jayco fits them there and the charger is on the other side of the van. I used threaded inserts into the floor to screw the battery boxes down as i did not like the 4" self tappers that jayco used to screw through the floor. These are waterproof from inside and out.

Not sure if i would like the batteries in with the charger, just incase of the possibility of the added chance of sparks and gases.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/1293-Our-14-44-3-Solar-Fit-Up?goto=newpost

Cheers.

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
Ok heres what I think I will do as for the safety issue (gases). I am using a BCF battery box which after I have installed the battery i will seal with Silicone. I will also that connect a small hose from the top of the box and vent it to outside the van through one of the wiring exits, which I noticed yesterday has daylight through it. Then I will seal this opening as well. So sealed battery box vented through the floor with small hose and a AGM battery. I think this will have it all covered then.