Just Browsing Battery Charger

Troy Foz

Feb 25, 2019
Darwin
Hey Guys,

I have a question about my battery set up in my Expanda, I have a 120Amp/hr battery and I have previously had to have it charging on an external charger but recently I have noticed when plugged into 240 v AC a red light is coming on the fuse box and the battery seems to be not losing any charge as it was slightly trickling down before.

I was lead to believe that this box wasn't a charger from a previous owner but I'm unsure, I have also just connected a solar panel via Anderson plug and have noticed that the cheap volt meter installed is showing 16.4v. The previous owner said he could only charge battery whist driving the car using the Anderson

See attached the power box on the van, anyone reconise it and can tell me more about it.

Thanks in advance.

charger.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Looks like a Setek20 or 35 II, yes it will charge the battery when plugged into 240v, there is usually another switch nearby, same as a light switch tagged battery this needs to be on or the battery is disconnected from the system , they will charge but not in a hurry .... Should be a manual for it in the van if not head to this link for the gospel... https://www.setec.com.au/pdf/ST-II-User-Manual.pdf

Troy Foz

Feb 25, 2019
Darwin
Looks like a Setek20 or 35 II, yes it will charge the battery when plugged into 240v, there is usually another switch nearby, same as a light switch tagged battery this needs to be on or the battery is disconnected from the system , they will charge but not in a hurry .... Should be a manual for it in the van if not head to this link for the gospel... https://www.setec.com.au/pdf/ST-II-User-Manual.pdf

Thanks Drover,

I have looked and there is no switch for the battery what would this mean?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The best way would be to track the wires from the battery, should be a set leading to the Setec otherwise nothing would work as the lights and stuffs power should be sourced from it, you may have to turn sniffer dog and track down your wiring for other things as well...

Troy Foz

Feb 25, 2019
Darwin
The best way would be to track the wires from the battery, should be a set leading to the Setec otherwise nothing would work as the lights and stuffs power should be sourced from it, you may have to turn sniffer dog and track down your wiring for other things as well...

The issue we have at the moment is ive just purchased a 160w solar pannel for some unpowered camping and yesterday once connected to my Anderson plug it wasn't showing any power output I changed from the anderson to the van to alligator clamps to the car and it started generating power then moved to the van and was showing 16v so it was charging.
once connected again this morning with the panel in the sun no power generation via connecting to the van but power alligator clamps.

question is do the panels need some time in the sun before they start to generate power? as its weird it worked yesterday and not today.

Thanks.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Your solar panel needs to be connected directly to the batteries, the Anderson on your van more than likely goes to the setec and fridge, the panels will work soon as there's light but the panel regulator needs to see the battery state before it will kick in, going via the setec won't show that.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I found that even with the battery switch ‘off’, everything disconnected when the van is in storage, the Solar panels continue to trickle charge the van battery. I have a Setec Battery Sense monitor connected to keep a check on the battery status.
.752EE32F-0F8D-4B89-8898-FFD26271DCE8.jpeg
The little dips show the overnight loss. Even with the battery switch off, power is consumed by .....?
Drops lot more if the battery switch is on, providing power to CO2/methane gas sensor etal.

Reactions: Crusty181