Battery Advice

Blip59

Oct 24, 2010
Perth WA
Hello All
we are going up north to exmouth in june and keen to try some free camping on way up so i was looking for some advice on what Battery to get to run Lights
what system would be most efficient any help or advice would be greatly received

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
G'day Blip59,

The size of your battery(s) required will depend on a couple of things:
a. Power use - led lights, water pump, fans, fridge etc.
b. recharge options - via car alternator, solar, generator, 240v
c. Space / weight available - a solar panel may be lighter than a second battery.

For me, I have ~100amph batt which seems to do the trick, although only using it to run lights, tv, water pump, charging phones / laptops / chargers etc.

There a few posts with good guides to how much lights, tv's, pumps draw etc, which may be of help.
There's lots of great of advice on this forum, hope it's of help :)

Cheers, Glenn

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi Blip.

I`d stick with the standard 100Ah battery.

If your just running lights, I`d be purchasing LEDs for a fraction of the cost of a bigger heavier battery.

LEDs throw out just as much light, but only use around one tenth of the power.

I`ve converted my van over to LEDs and use around 2amps per hour with all my lights on.

I was originally using around 20amps an hour with all lights on.

At 2 amps per hour, my 100 amp hour battery has no problem running these lights.

Go to ebay and type in "Jayco LED lights"

At a minimum, I`d be getting 6 x sets of 36SMD LEDs. These are a good choice for the main interior lights inside the van
A 48SMD LED is a good choice for the exterior light
A few sets of 12 SMD LEDs are a good choice for the bed lights

All these connect to the Jayco light fittings. They come with 3 different attachments. The little wedge one is the one that simply clicks into the jayco light fittings. It`s all a matter of pulling the old ones out and pushing the new ones in. They connect using double sided tape, but mine needed a blob of silicon to provide a bit more stick as the double sided tape on a couple did come off.

Heres a link below. These are what I purchased and installed.

Your 100amp hour battery will have no problem running these lights.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jayco-LE...ccessories&hash=item3cc537232f#ht_1023wt_1141

At a minimum I`d purchase a few sets of 36SMD LED lights.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
I`ve also replaced the range hood light with an LED type.

There are two different types.

1 is a MR11 {small 3.5cm diameter} and the other is an MR16 {large 4.5cm diameter}. I think as a general rule, if your van has two range hood lights, they are MR11`s, and if your van has a single range hood light then it`s a MR16. I found that out the hard way.

Both types just plug in with to small pin connections.

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
I've just converted all of my lights with the 48SMD eBay lights, they work really well. The only problem I've had is that the double sided tape they come with has peeled away from the light fittings. I would recommend cleaning the surface to be stuck to with an alcohol wipe or similar before sticking them on (I didn’t), some new tape should fix mine!

Blip59

Oct 24, 2010
Perth WA
Thanks to all for great advice will make sure to use some of the links advised our van is a 2011 16 49 1 which came with leds already fitted to the main lights and will now get the upgrades to the cooker hood and bed lights