Batteries and power

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hi all,

Apologies if this is someone I should be able to find, however, I have searched but could not find what warm after.

We are starting to get bits and pieces together in anticipation of the collection of our van.
Now I realise that in hind sit I maybe should have got the battery for our van in the original order, but I didn't. Don't bag me too much please! But I just could not come at spending $450 for a AGM battery when I am able to get trade price through the father-in-law.

Now that poses my question. What brand and size battery are people using and would you recommend we get?

To give you an idea of our usage... We will generally (minimum of 99% of the time) will be free camping. In my old camper trailer, we ran the Korr lights and 2 Engels and 12v water pump off 2x Delcor 100ah deep cycles and never ran out or had a problem - we also had and will have an 80w portable solar panel.

Now I have no idea on what our new usage will be as the fridge will be on gas. So generally, it will just be the 12v stuff in the van (including stereo and tv - tv minimal if any use at all). When away for longer trips, we will also probably have our 40L Engel.

I am thinking maybe start with 1x 100ah deep cycle (guessing will have to be AGM - so that rules out the Delcors) have the 80w panel with generator back up.
Will this be enough, or do you think I should get another 120w panel and second battery?

Thoughts, opinions, questions Is what I am after...

BJ

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Ps. Again if there are threads already on this, mods please delete and if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks again.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi all,...
I am thinking maybe start with 1x 100ah deep cycle (guessing will have to be AGM - so that rules out the Delcors) have the 80w panel with generator back up.
Will this be enough, or do you think I should get another 120w panel and second battery?
Thoughts, opinions, questions Is what I am after...

BJ
Just a quick reply. The only silly questions here are the ones you don't ask. ;) Your thinking should do fine for starters. I would add a second battery later and roof mount another panel for complete self sufficiency with your portable 12v fridge. I've got 2 x 110ah batteries and 2 x 120w roof mounted panels and to be honest it's proving to be a bit of overkill (but I never have to worry about a bit of shade or cloudy days). As others on this forum have advised, put your regulator close to the battery not the solar panel for greater efficiency.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Hi Bj
As you look through the forum posts on battery/power installs the one thing that you will quickly see is that there is a very wide variation in the different setups. This often leads to confusion among those trying to work out a system that will work for them. This truly is a case of "how long is a piece of string" as everybody has different requirements that need to be met.

What you are thinking above is a good place to start, as your are adding the battery after purchase it will be part of your payload weight so i would definitely start with just one and see how you go.
we are off grid campers also, in our 14 we have a 100ah battery and 120w panel and have had no problems to date.

If you do some searching on the forum you will see some very good setups on show and no shortage of good advice as well. ROnEM has put up some good diagrams in the dual battery thread as you also have a generator this will allow you to have a more modest setup in the van should you choose.

One thing to remember is I have never had anyone complain about having too much power available (except maybe about the cost to get it) :)

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.
think will try just what I have said above as a start.

One thing I just don't understand with Jaycos weight and compliance plates... You would think that they are designed to carry a maximum weight. I mean, what would be different about a van coming off the line with no batteries at time of build compared to one with say two batteries? It is not like they will change anything on the van to accommodate this extra so called weight.

I just don't get it.

BJ

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I'm thinking they (Jayco) might use some sort of "formula" to calculate the ATM perhaps based on %age of Tare or Kerb Mass.
They must specify an ATM by law, but need to keep it as low as practical, so as not to limit tow vehicle options (and therefore their market). Everything added (at customers request) at time of manufacture is included in the Tare so you should expect a higher ATM on the plate - they've got the sale and you obviously have the tug to do the job. Hope this makes some sense.