Interior Basestation wall construction.

wolfman

Aug 17, 2016
NZ
Hi all,

I own a 2018 23' Basestation Outback and want to hang a 4kg stereo speaker on a wall.
I would like to attach a bracket to the wall beside the fridge and above the oven, up at ceiling height beside the overhead cupboards.
I was thinking of screwing into the horizontal top of the wall, where it feels solid, as part of the securing, but don't know what it is made of.
I contacted Jayco but they just suggested I don't and wouldn't elaborate on construction.
I presume there are two sheets of ply separated by some sort of filler. The rest of the wall sounds hollow but the top sounds firm.

Does anyone know what is in there please??

A plan would be great if they are around.

Cheers

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Fibreglass Jayco's walls and roofs are usually 2 sheets of thin ply with styro sheet sandwiched in the middle, the ply won't support very much more than a light fitting. I would be trying to mount off a cupboard.

wolfman

Aug 17, 2016
NZ
Fibreglass Jayco's walls and roofs are usually 2 sheets of thin ply with styro sheet sandwiched in the middle, the ply won't support very much more than a light fitting. I would be trying to mount off a cupboard.

That might be a better plan. I could actually put a bolt right through the cupboard frame at the end past the cupboard door.
I could even take off that end piece and replace it with a bracket. I was going to use that strong two sided sticky tape on the flat of the wall to add extra strength. If the bracket is a big flat piece of metal I would have a bit of area to add tape. It is strong stuff. Then screws to add some more strength into the top "solid" strip.
Still thinking.
Thanks.

wolfman

Aug 17, 2016
NZ
I talked to an engineer about this and he said the double sided sticky tape is more than enough to take the 4kg weight with 2 or 3 strips on the back of a bracket plate.
I know that ply wall beside the fridge wouldn't take a screw and hold it but I'm sure it will take a spread out flat load.
The weak point as I see it is the bond between the ply and the imitation wood wall paper.
Is this heat bonded melamine paper do you know Drover or DRW?

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
It is a paper like material that comes off without much effort such as when attempting to remove a double sided wall hook - speaking from experience...
My tv is mounted (by jayco) on a double layer of wall and still they recommend storing the tv before travel. Could you make a mount where the speaker is only there when parked? The static load would make tape more viable?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The lining of the interior walls is only paper and will come away if you pull the tape off or even wipe a mark off too hard, while parked up holding 4kg with an abundance of double sided tape behind it I would be concerned once on the road, bumps etc would convert that 4kg into a few kg more, if you only have that position to fit it then I would make a nice base plate, screwed and glued onto the wall, preferably the bigger the better, mount the speaker onto it, then you would as you mentioned be spreading the load but you wouldn't be able to remove the base plate ever again......... Pulled a couple of key hooks off the wrong way and the damn stuff came off, they had been on awhile so time had helped things, used bigger hooks to cover up the damage.

wolfman

Aug 17, 2016
NZ
The lining of the interior walls is only paper and will come away if you pull the tape off or even wipe a mark off too hard, while parked up holding 4kg with an abundance of double sided tape behind it I would be concerned once on the road, bumps etc would convert that 4kg into a few kg more, if you only have that position to fit it then I would make a nice base plate, screwed and glued onto the wall, preferably the bigger the better, mount the speaker onto it, then you would as you mentioned be spreading the load but you wouldn't be able to remove the base plate ever again......... Pulled a couple of key hooks off the wrong way and the damn stuff came off, they had been on awhile so time had helped things, used bigger hooks to cover up the damage.

Thanks for the reply. I would be removing the speaker for travel as you and jazzeddie suggest.
I will make a large base plate and still try and put a couple of screws up into the ceiling join at an angle as the factory screws are. There must be a ceiling joist of sorts there.
I also realise I will never be removing the back plate. I'll try to make it attractive :)
I really wish I could get a complete plan for the basestation. They won't give me one and it's frustrating.
Cheers.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
A reasonable sized wall plate ie mdf large enough to spread the load, adhered to the wall with MS Polymer would be pretty stable. Whilst bugger all glues and adhesives stick to your internal Jayco wall, MS Polymer sticks so good youd want to make sure before you use it, because I cant get it off. Ive used MS Polymer to structurally repair and fix to the wall the oven cabinet in my van, and theres no way youll get that stuff off ...

Reactions: Drover

wolfman

Aug 17, 2016
NZ
Just an update in case anyone wants to do this.
I ended up taking off the small end piece of the overhead cupboard front where it meets the fridge. I got a shelf bracket made with the back the same shape as the cupboard doors. I put 2 bolts through the top aluminium square tube that the cupboard doors hinge on and the bottom of the bracket fitted right in to the groove along the bottom. Very strong and I haven't had to take the speaker down when travelling. I've driven a couple of thousand km and solid as a rock.
The other speaker is on the TV scissor mount instead of a TV. I have screwed all the joints up really hard and it never moves either.
Very happy.

Reactions: chartrock

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Just an update in case anyone wants to do this.
I ended up taking off the small end piece of the overhead cupboard front where it meets the fridge. I got a shelf bracket made with the back the same shape as the cupboard doors. I put 2 bolts through the top aluminium square tube that the cupboard doors hinge on and the bottom of the bracket fitted right in to the groove along the bottom. Very strong and I haven't had to take the speaker down when travelling. I've driven a couple of thousand km and solid as a rock.
The other speaker is on the TV scissor mount instead of a TV. I have screwed all the joints up really hard and it never moves either.
Very happy.
I think ill need a photo

wolfman

Aug 17, 2016
NZ
I finally got round to taking a couple of photos.

Attachments

• P1000241.jpg
    P1000241.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 209
  • P1000242.jpg
    P1000242.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 190
  • P1000243.jpg
    P1000243.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: DRW and Crusty181