Ball Weight - can we get it down by 10?

foldtrip

Feb 6, 2011
perth
Hi

We really really want a 17.56-1 and the ball weight is 160kg. Our new santa fe is 150kg..
Technically, I dont see any issues with an extra 10kg, but I dont want to have issues with insurance should we have an accident.

Someone mentioned weight distribution systems, but I do not know anything about them.

Does anyone know of a way to reduce the ball weightnthat would satisfy the insurance companies?

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Unfortunately, there is no real option to gain more towball weight allowance on a vehicle. I am in the same predicament - I'm over by about 30kg. In my research, there was only one way to allow more weight - an engineering certificate. But even then, thats only the structural weight and not the forces applied to drive train and engine. In the end, i decided to run it as is for now, with a car upgrade hopefully in 2012 if the business can afford it (different vehicles have different ways it is calculated - if I took the winch off the front, I'm legit again, or if I had a petrol variant, I'm way under.....go figure.....) When I spoke to the insurance companies, they did admit they allow a small tolerance, but not in writing of course, and that doesn't always mean it is suitable. Sorry, no help there....

The purpose of the WDH is allow the weight is evenly distributed over the front and rear wheels. If just on the rear, some vehicles may be too light on the front giving poorer steering the braking, and more wear on the rear tyres and suspension. This doesn't affect towball weight as such.

My suggestion is go into a friendly dealer and talk to the service dept. Explain it would be 10kg over and gauge their reaction. No-one will sign off on it to allow it, but they might give an opinion - they know the vehicle better than most.

Also check the max towing allowance - Santa Fe I think is 2000kg max. So with a 17.56-1 at 1657kg, thats only 350kg extra allowed on/in the van - inc all accessories/mods you may order, full water tank, and luggage. You may be pretty close to that tow limit also (??) which would be of a greater emphasis. (the 17.56-1 will be plated to allow 400kg above the factory weight in the van)

Good luck
Andrew

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
10kg is next to nothing.

Lots of cars these days have a kind of variable max tow ball weight(TBW)

In my Patrol the max TBW is only 150kg (at full GVM) but I can increase that to 300kg by reducing my Patrols payload by 150kg. It has a sticker on the back door with the calculations
As long you do not go over the GVM of the vehicle it is OK.

You could also move some of the load in the van to the back(within reason) to reduce the weight on the hitch....