Back Bumper and Bike Rack

waznvic

May 14, 2012
Hi All
We're new to the Expanda world with a 2011 16.49.3. Love the forum, full of good ideas and handy hints.

Thought I would share my solution to carry the bikes. I bought a Swagman XP3 rack from Rhino Rack which is made to plug into the tow hitch, $230. Not real cheap but good quality and works a treat. I took off the old rear bumper and made a new one using 75 x 50 RHS with 50 x 50 supports which fit straight into the existing bumper mounts. I then added a top mounted receiver to accept the 50 x 50 tow hitch fitting. This keeps it clear of the ground if the van drags its bum in a ditch.

It only adds about 20 seconds to the bed set-up or fold up. Also has the advantage of being able to use it straight on the vehicle if the van is not on.

Cheers

Waz

Expander bike rack 1.jpgExpander bike rack 2.jpgExpander bike rack 3.jpgExpander bike rack 4.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Welcome and nice work on the bar, is that an aerial mount as well?

waznvic

May 14, 2012
Yep, with a pool cleaner extension handle. However I now know to take at out when travelling because vibration finally cracked it and it went west.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Looks great Waznvic.

You may need to reposition your rego plate as its now obstructed from view with the bike on the back.

I know in NSW you can get booked for a rear number plate obstruction.

Good job on the rack champ. Well done.

He should be right as long as he has a bike rack number plate, which is available in every state except NSW (still under the thumb of the fun police).

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Not sure if you can get bike rego for trailers/caravans. Could be wrong, thought it was only for cars.

Geoff

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
That's right I tried to order a bike rego plate here in Nsw and couldn't get one. Also read that ergo plates have height from road restrictions making me realise that my own home made plate was always positioned too high. I could've been booked. All info on Rta website.