Awnings and high wind

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
Me again guys..:blabla:

Looking to see what everyone is using for an awning and how do you cope in high wind situations.

I was down south coast beginning of July (when NSW and Vic had the huge winds) and there was a guy who had his awning out with one sidewall and a skirt for the van. Everyone had their tarps and awnings ripped off and his was still up. It wasn't even roped down at all, just a few pegs.
I went to have a chat and find out what it was, and it was a Aussie Traveller about 10 year old. It had strange wire system setup on the roof and had a pole running across it.

Ok, my question is what do you use and does it stay up in big winds?

The Jayco dealer said you have to put the Carefree away in winds more then 20-25km/hr...is that true? Any mods to make them stand up to big storms?

I know if you have a full annex the wind can't get in under it to blow it away....

Is there a better option than Carefree??

Cheers guys.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
I have some guide ropes with a rubber strap around the awning roll and also those anti flaps. Depending on the location and weather if we leave the van for a day and it looks risky will put the awning away. Also make sure you have a good fall if rain is around as they can pool.

Christian

Reactions: NissPat

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I had one of the Aussie Travellers on my Swan, awesome bit of gear, rated to 150kg in full annex set up

As for the Carefree, I have 2 quick release straps (that I also used on the camper) that go over the awning roller that connect to twin guy ropes with very large pegs. have also just install the Aussie Traveller anti-flap bars, but yep if it turns really fowl best to roll it away.

should you be unlucky enough to loose your awning in a storm, best thing you could do is replace it with a "Dometic", Sorry Mr Jayco but the quality of the Carefree Colorado Awning is absolutly crap.

Reactions: NissPat

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
I had one of the Aussie Travellers on my Swan, awesome bit of gear, rated to 150kg in full annex set up

As for the Carefree, I have 2 quick release straps (that I also used on the camper) that go over the awning roller that connect to twin guy ropes with very large pegs. have also just install the Aussie Traveller anti-flap bars, but yep if it turns really fowl best to roll it away.

should you be unlucky enough to loose your awning in a storm, best thing you could do is replace it with a "Dometic", Sorry Mr Jayco but the quality of the Carefree Colorado Awning is absolutly crap.

Cheers for that,

Just thinking I should ring up Jayco and ask them to install the Dometic instead of the Carefree. Still have 2 months to wait.
Just had a look at their products, would the 9000 or the 8500 be the better ones?

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Jayco informed us to put the awning in at night & when u leave your van for the day. Does anyone do this? Just wondering how easy do the awnings damage? Also how do u set your awning? Eg guide robes, etc.

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
I don't pack mine up in the evening.
If the wind picks up I roll the awning away.
I have seen some damaged awnings after high winds.

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
Jayco informed us to put the awning in at night & when u leave your van for the day. Does anyone do this? Just wondering how easy do the awnings damage? Also how do u set your awning? Eg guide robes, etc.

Yep, we were told the same but are newbies to awnings ourselves. Were also told not to tie it down with ropes either but I see many other awnings at parks tied down. I am so confused!!

Stew