Exterior Awning holding screws leaking- interior water damage

JoshH

Jun 28, 2020
Bargo
Gday
First time posting but have been lurking around the forums for the past 2 years when I started looking at an expanda.
Bought a 2017 16.49 outback bunk van about 18 months ago and love it.
I pulled the van out from under the cover this weekend to install a diesel heater, which all went well.
however....
when I had it all open I noticed the interior wall was peeling badly near the rear foldout and found water damage on that panel.
I went looking around for broken sealer outside and couldn’t find anything.
Then I noticed the sealer on the top awning frame where it meets the van was a bit broken.
The screws that hold the awning at the top were near finger tight and when removed the side of the van looked like swiss cheese.(sorry for sideways photo). I am guessing the awning arm has been ripped off at some stage and wouldn’t think it would come out of the factory like this?
41FC10FB-5886-4D74-84D0-5ED7F8C508EA.jpeg

Looking at the rust on the screw I reckon this the source of my problem.
I am looking for thoughts on how to fix this. I am thinking clean it all up, sikaflex all the holes, re screw and seal it all up again.
Once the leak is fixed I can let the inside dry out and look to asses and fix the water damage. Can you buy the vinyl film to match the wall?
Thanks for any help!
1574ADDE-CEE2-432A-924E-E64056882EFC.jpeg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep, your not alone, some on here have done repairs or found them, the usual method is bog the holes and fit a nice large bit of alloy plate over it all, glue and screw it then fasten your awning bracket to it, no need to use humongous roofing screws though into the alloy.
A nicely finished off bit of alloy, large to spread the load can actually give a good look as well.

Reactions: skippy