Toy Hauler Anyone towing a Basestation with a Jeep Grand Cheerokee?

Walks

Sep 15, 2013
Melbourne
I tow my Discovery which is about 2100kgs loaded without a WDH and I find it pretty stable. All new GC's have trailer sway control. I averaged 14.2 when towing through the Snowy Mountains recently. Water temp gets high on climbs which numerous owners have reported but I don't think anyone has killed their cars yet. Go the CRD. Also I have the quadralift air suspension which keeps it level. Overall I'm really happy with mine.

I can tell you this much it doesn't work all that well....

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Glad to hear your ok @Walks !!
While I can't help you with the whole towing the BS with the Jeep thing, I can comment that the Basestation is a little bit more stable than the 17ft expanda we had. Not much more but a little bit. I think as long as you have a significant weight towing another significant weight you shouldn't have too many dramas. I shudder to think of anyone towing 3.5T on some of the utes, not because they can't handle it (they are very capable tugs!) just the lack of weight towards the rear concerns me.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Glad to here you came out of it pretty well.

My concern is the weight of the Jeep v's the weight of the loaded base station. While the marketing people have given the jeep a high tow capacity, is the vehicle really heavy enough to control the towed load in less than favourable situations, like the one you have just been through. Personally I think that many of the tow capacities are now far over rated, it is not about the power to pull the load, it is about the weight to correct the load and stop it.

Just my 2c worth.

Reactions: Holden_man