20' Series Anyone removed their water pressure limiting valves???

Expandaman

May 24, 2013
Dalby - QLD
We've recently had enough of the ridiculous limited "flow" of water in our van. I got under the van and ripped the guts out of the pressure limiting valve. We never had any problems in our 3 other Expandas we have owned. Is this a recent addition to the Expandas? I've had plenty of people say to me that "now we will be blowing pipes off left right and centre". What a load of BS. The quick fit fittings and pipe are rated for use on truck brake air lines. The only way these fittings can blow off, is if they have been fitted incorrectly. Push the plastic pipe all the way in to the fitting and then pull it back to engage the barbs. Fitting 101.
Has anyone fitted a variable limiting valve? I had a plumber recently show me one he had in his work ute. I still think it's not a pressure related problem. I believe it is a flow issue. The park we were at when I did my nut and pulled the guts out, had no pressure anyway, yet after pulling the guts out of the valve we had tonnes of "flow" and still rubbish pressure. ( Please people don't get "flow" and "pressure" confused )

Any thoughts people, and don't get on and start telling me "your going to blow all your pipes off!!!". ( Hmm, I think I've just fed the Lions. LOL ).
I don't want to hear it.

Thanks in advance.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I "think"it must only be vans that have hws that have plv's fitted. My old 2012 16 expanda never had a plv, but my 2012 current 18 does. It could be due to the fact that the water heater has a rated minimum inlet water pressure because maybe the pressure relief valve rate is low (850 kpa on mine). Hot water systems will generally have a 500kpa plv if the tpr is 850kpa.
It is easier for them to put a plv early in the system as it needs to be balanced because of the tempering valve. There are adjustable ones you could buy. I think you would struggle to find a park with a higher than 500 kpa water pressure but no doubt there is one somewhere.

You could get one and make up a fitting so it goes on the tap and your hose connects to it. That way you hose is also pressure limited.

Reactions: Rockape

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The Main Beach C/Park in QLD used to have limiting valves screwed onto all their taps. They were pretty small. No idea why, just assumed the local pressure may have been higher than average. Also noticed them fitted on a particular brand on van at a caravan show, and the explanation was for apparently very high water pressure in WA. Maybe sandgropers could chip in there.

I thought the tap limiting valve was a good idea, so bought one and attached to my tap/hose fitting and used it most of the time

Reactions: Bluey

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Not sure where they got the idea of high water pressure in WA..... Having been involved in the water industry over here for as long as I care to remember :dizzy: ..... The only complaints I hear about are for low, or NO, pressure :rant:

Macropod

Sep 5, 2013
Cordeaux Heights, NSW
We had very poor flow in our 20.63.1 right from the word go. Finally narrowed it down to the PLV - replaced with a new one and got my pressure back. As I understand it, the PLV is installed in units that have a HWS to limit the pressure to the tank. The HWS requires a 350kpa PLV.

rags

The Main Beach C/Park in QLD used to have limiting valves screwed onto all their taps. They were pretty small. No idea why, just assumed the local pressure may have been higher than average. Also noticed them fitted on a particular brand on van at a caravan show, and the explanation was for apparently very high water pressure in WA. Maybe sandgropers could chip in there.

I thought the tap limiting valve was a good idea, so bought one and attached to my tap/hose fitting and used it most of the time

The device you seen on the outlet of a hose tap are a backflow prevention device to protect the potable water supply from any potential backflow contamination ,but can have an effect on the supply flow and pressure. These would be required at the request of the water supply authority.

Reactions: Crusty181

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
for whats it's worth, plumbing regs in Vic require pressure limiting to 500kPa at the outlet in new homes and extensions. A number of other building regs apply in a caravan (eg 240v elec) so I wonder if water is likewise regulated.

Reactions: Crusty181

bingara1

Mar 19, 2016
Maitland NSW
If it's the brass reducer under your van you can pull it apart and get the internal spring and stretch the spring and this will give you much better water pressure and still giving you the high pressure protection.

Christian

Hi Christian, is this a temporary fix or is it a reliable solution to a festering problem for Jayco owners generally?

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
The PLV is to protect the hot water service, you need them at some parks as the tank on the HWS is only rated for a certain pressure and can damage if over pressurised. Previously manufactures didn't install them as most of Australia doesn't have the pressure to cause a problem, now I think it is in regulations to have them.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Travelled for nearly 2 yrs ( about 30 parks) with the guts of the stupid thing sitting in my tool box, it's not really needed, if you ever find somewhere with high pressure then it will pop your hose fitting before anything else and the HWS PRV will pop anyway, I even chucked the temp valve also, ended up with some water pressure then.........the plumbing runs need a good going over, I think I removed about 6 or 7 restrictive sections and joiners in mine, to get away from the tangle that it was.............Big Mal doesn't have one, well I haven't found it and the water pressure is fantastic from taps that the old jayco found to be ordinary.

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
After free camping with no pressure issues what so ever whilst on the pump. We found at caravan parks the water pressure for both hot and cold was "poor". After showering in the van with the pressure of which I'm pretty sure I could produce through a straw, I cracked it and ripped the guts out of the PLV. Still sits in the toolbox just in case I ever need it. I can now shower with awesome pressure, and filling the sink doesn't take an eternity.

Now to fix the sink draining issues damn right angles and chicken bits just dont mix. hahahaha