Any recent visitors to Lake Eyre?

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Just wondering if anyone has been up to Lake Eyre recently?

We are planning a short camping (not towing) visit for mid-June when according to an ABC news report the lake should be at its fullest due to the Queensland floods. The floods supposedly will put the lake at ¾ full and I wonder if this will be enough to be actually view the water’s edge from the shoreline? Or will it be necessary to trudge through a few hundred meters of mud?

Have also read that the best place to view the lake when it has water is at Halligan Bay Point out from William Creek with the next best view at Level Post Bay out from Muloorina Station. Apparently Muloorina has the better campsite but the water is the reason for going not the campsite.

Look forward to reading any reports from recent travellers to the area.

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Yeah sure you can come, if the wife says shes not coming you can have her seat. The new car BT50 only has 2 seats so you'll have to be quick.

We were in William Creek about 18 months ago and went for a flight over the Lake, dry obviously, and really enjoyed the experience.
This time we plan to spend 2 nights at Halligan Bay and hopefully see some water and whole heap of bird and other wildlife and that will determine whether or not we take another flight.
The flights while great are $300 per person which really punches a hole in my beer money and we all need to set the correct priorities.

Reactions: 1DayIll and DRW

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Back from our trip. we didn't tow the van this time and used a tent for camping which was an interesting experience but I still prefer the few luxuries a van brings.

Had a good time but didn't see much water in the lake. We walked out from the shore about 300m and water pooled in our footsteps and I could see a body of water with binoculars while standing on the ute canopy but that is it. There were a few vehicles with kayaks strapped to the roof but that was very wishful thinking.

The 70km road into the Halligan Bay campground from William Creek had just been graded but is deteriorating fast and it wont be long before its a 2 hour trip.
The Oodnadatta Track from Oodnadatta to Marree is in great condition and really a Holden 1 tonner would do it easily.
Coward Springs was the same as it was 2 years ago and is up for sale if anyones interested.
Farina is a slow work in progress but the volunteers are doing a great job of saving a piece of history.
The road from Marree to Lyndhurst is nearly sealed for its entire length save about 30kms.

Now to start planning a few shorter trips for the second half of the year.

Attachments

• HB 1.JPG
    HB 1.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0256.JPG
    307.4 KB · Views: 360
  • Lake Eyre 2019.JPG
    Lake Eyre 2019.JPG
    433.9 KB · Views: 379
  • Oodnadatta Track.JPG
    Oodnadatta Track.JPG