Any free camping sites around Sydney suitable for Caravans

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Hello,

I am trying to find free camping sites around Sydney suitable for Caravans.

If anyone knows any, please share.

Thank you.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Not much around. Probably the closest free spot would be at either Belanglo State Forest or Wingello State Forest.
Also Bendeela at Kangaroo Valley.
Download Wikicamps on your android or apple device. Free for first 30 days and well worth it.

rags

At Richmond there is the Wanderers rest free camp. Locate in the rear of the Richmond RSL carpark over looking the Richmond lowlands (farmland). It has showers etc. locate near railway station and you can even watch the wheels of a C130 Hercules retract into the under body as it is under the RAAF flight path.
I think you may need to buy a $10 club membership to stay but get member discount in the club.
http://www.richmondclub.com.au/Services/Wanderest-1

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

The only one 1 know of so far is Bulahdelah although that is about 2.5 hours drive.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Hey,

I think I am in the same boat as you, I'm looking to go somewhere other than the usual big4 etc. I want to give the kids a different experience while camping and am struggling to find anywhere.

Ideally I want to be around a lake or river for some fishing and some space for the kids to roam around. Having a fire on the burn for the cold nights and all that jazz. A friend has recommended Wollondilly River Station a couple of hours away and we will plan a trip their soon. The other one I have found although not sure on caravans is Glenworth Valley just past Mount White on the freeway.

If you find somewhere please let us know.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
I have just looked up Dunns Swamp in Rylstone, looks pretty good although a couple of hours drive. Not sure if caravan accessible or not.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I have just looked up Dunns Swamp in Rylstone, looks pretty good although a couple of hours drive. Not sure if caravan accessible or not.
Yeah you can get vans into Dunn's Swamp.

Beautiful spot but gets a bit busy on weekends and public holidays.

A bit of dirt on the road in but all pretty easy to do in a normal car and touring van.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Thanks @Bellbirdweb, I passed it last week coming out of Mudgee and I was looking at Cudgegong Waters thinking how nice it would be to stay water side somewhere, not sure if that's possible or not, and then I saw the sign for Dunns Swamp and thought I might check that out one day, a few wineries around the area for something to do for the missus while I drop a line in somewhere and keep hydrated on the turps.

I have searched Glen Davis which has great reviews and saw Coorongooba campground nearby, are they pretty much the same experience, and when do you think the best time of year is to go?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Thanks @Bellbirdweb, I passed it last week coming out of Mudgee and I was looking at Cudgegong Waters thinking how nice it would be to stay water side somewhere, not sure if that's possible or not, and then I saw the sign for Dunns Swamp and thought I might check that out one day, a few wineries around the area for something to do for the missus while I drop a line in somewhere and keep hydrated on the turps.

I have searched Glen Davis which has great reviews and saw Coorongooba campground nearby, are they pretty much the same experience, and when do you think the best time of year is to go?
We went to Glen Davis in summer. Was very hot, but not many people around so could run the genny for aircon.

I would think spring and autumn would be best. If you have a heater, winter would be ok, but will get pretty cold anywhere in that side of the range.

Reactions: warren cook

rags

Cudgegong waters is a great place to stay and one of my favourites, power sites up the top or camp anywhere down by the water, Fires are allowed with wood available at office. New amenities and a nice drive back to town to keep the ladies happy for the shopping. Would go there often as it was less than 2 hrs from old home, originally we kept a van in storage up the top paddock and which we could tow down to waterside. This meant we could have (tow) a boat out there.
One of the things I miss now living in Qld is that I can't get there often.

Reactions: warren cook

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I know a great free camp in Sydney its called @warren cook s driveway just get power lead through his bedroom window some rocks in front gatden for fire pit once its all got got too much for him and his front lawn is a chared mess
Im off to @Bellbirdweb s another good spot not on any maps close to pubs and clubs probly camp in the street there running power from the shed with have clothes line set up on front lawn kids playing everywhere throwing balls breaking windows another great place for fire pit on front lawn once we are removed by police kicking and screaming its time to move on and make our way to @Drover s for more fun times free camps everywhere LOL

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I know a great free camp in Sydney its called @warren cook s driveway just get power lead through his bedroom window some rocks in front gatden for fire pit once its all got got too much for him and his front lawn is a chared mess
Im off to @Bellbirdweb s another good spot not on any maps close to pubs and clubs probly camp in the street there running power from the shed with have clothes line set up on front lawn kids playing everywhere throwing balls breaking windows another great place for fire pit on front lawn once we are removed by police kicking and screaming its time to move on and make our way to @Drover s for more fun times free camps everywhere LOL
Always welcome @Bluey, @warren cook and I will be at Glen Davis enjoying the peace and quiet.

You can chat to the council who will be breathing down your necks after 61 minutes parked out the front like they are if I dare to park my own van there.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney

@Bluey you are more than welcome mate, you should do fine with the solar panel on the roof mate so no need for the cord, just no 4wd practice going on around the place, I know how much you are getting in to it now. The mower will be full of fuel for you to keep you busy for a few hours and there are some fish in the lake out the back in case you get hungry, none like the kingfish in Coffs though I'm afraid.

I will facetime you from Glen Davis to make sure the edging is done correctly on the lawns!

Reactions: Bluey

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Cudgegong waters is a great place to stay and one of my favourites, power sites up the top or camp anywhere down by the water, Fires are allowed with wood available at office. New amenities and a nice drive back to town to keep the ladies happy for the shopping. Would go there often as it was less than 2 hrs from old home, originally we kept a van in storage up the top paddock and which we could tow down to waterside. This meant we could have (tow) a boat out there.
One of the things I miss now living in Qld is that I can't get there often.

Good to know you can get down there as I wasn't sure, I haven't scouted it out yet and must do next time I go past. It really does look good from the road and like you said its only 2hrs from Sydney really.

rags

Good to know you can get down there as I wasn't sure, I haven't scouted it out yet and must do next time I go past. It really does look good from the road and like you said its only 2hrs from Sydney really.
To enter the park you needed to put a gold coin in a boom gate however I see the park has new managers now so maybe that gate has been removed now

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Gate is still there, I took my kids with the boat a few weeks ago. It's $6 to get in. I'd forgotten about the gate, so had to get change there....

Great spot, I couldn't find fish this time though (not unusual for me!).