Electrical aMe brake controller

muzza

Aug 4, 2014
bundaberg qld
Hi all
Picked up our new (second hand) ) 1649 - 3 on Saturday and had major issues with the brakes on the van.
Being only ten minutes from home we thought we would use our xtrail to tow it home.the xtrail is going this week and a new challenger is taking its place.
The xtrail has no electric brakes but the van has an ame brake controller on it so we thought it would be all ok.
NO.. Each time I touch the brake the van wheels would lock up.
My question is, when I get the new tug ( will fit new controller) what happens to the controller on the van? Does it work in conjunction with the tugs controller or do I have to remove it?
I wasn't sure if I cut the power lead on the van controller if I would have no brakes (preferred just to get home) )or brakes would lock on.
Don't like the idea of the brakes not being able to be controlled from car as the missus won't sit on the draw bar to opperate brakes!!
Any suggestions?

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
G'day Muzza, I'm no expert, but if you are getting a new controller in your car, I reckon you will have to get rid of the AME controller.
Does the AME controller have a dial on it? If the brakes keep locking it may be that the dial is up too high, you just turn it back to reduce the sensitivity.

muzza

Aug 4, 2014
bundaberg qld
Thanks Flanders
tried adjusting the knob.no joy.
Pretty sure that the unit is buggered. But not sure if I can just disconnect it or I have to rewire the whole system.
No expert on electrics.
I did try speaking very sternly to it but as with 12 year old daughter no response. LOL
Cheers