Electrical AM/FM aerial replacement

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Hello,

I accidently ripped my AM/FM aerial off the caravan whilst trying to maneuver my 2016 Starcraft 17.58-3 OB through one of the Daintree camping areas about 2 years ago.

I finally got around to replacing it and purchased one of these (https://aerpro.com/ap102) the below but now realised I should have gotten one like the below as it has the extension screw.

Wondering if anyone has come across this and or been able to purchase the extension screw separately.

If not, I will probably just buy another aerial with the extension screw included.

Thank you!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Learn something new everyday, never come across one with an extension screw, only 2 I have replaced were just bog standard car aerials from supercheap....

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Thanks for the reply.

I will put this aerial aside and learn my lesson and buy another that comes with the extension screw.

:)

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Out of interest, which one did you buy from supercheap, that fits through the wall and or is suitable for your install application?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The type that has a screw which screws in from the outside part of the base to the plate with the lead on the inside, thinking about it I don't know if I used the bolt that it came with or a longer one, been awhile.....

1676353931662.png
just one of those short rubber jobbies...

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
No worries. Thanks for your reply and off I go to order the one that comes with the screw, as I give up trying to find the screw itself.

I screwed up and should have got it in the first place. Cheap lesson learnt. Saved on many other areas doing DIY though :)

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
I will probably order the first out of the 2 linked below.

My current and broken aerial does not have a ground wire and wonder why these ones do, or where I can secure it to, or if I do not need to otherwise.

Anyone know if I need to terminate the ground wire to a ground source or can I just forget about it?

I do not believe there is one at the back of the radio, but if there is a location, that might be a good spot, if it is connected to ground somehow.

UPDATE: I just checked the radio manual and there is nowhere to connect ground wire.

I might buy the new aerial just for the screw and install the one I bought that does not have the ground wire perhaps.

Wonder why some have it and some don't.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ground wire could be to extend the ground plane to improve reception but only guessing, the longer screw I think I used was just a longer bolt which screwed on from the outside mount and pulled the inside bit together, wasn't anything fancy like the one in the picture..... I was talking to son who's van we replaced the aerial and he confirmed I just dug in my junk box to find a longer screw that fitted, thinks it might have been a screw that you use to mount a power point to wall bracket...
Most places we wander since everything has gone to FM get bugga all signal, FM doesn't have the range of the AM signal.....