Alpine National Park: Wellington River

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
camping along the Wellington River off Tamboritha Road, North of Licola in the Alpine National Park was recommended to us over the weekend.

Just read the Parks Victoria Park note for that area which gives some information but not quite enough.

I had a few questions:
What is the condition of Tamboritha Road as far as the last campsite along the Wellington River?
Is it suitable for a 2WD and touring Penguin camper-trailer?

Does anyone recommend any of the 13 campsites along the river in that area. Which ones are suitable for camper-trailers? Which ones have toilets? Does anyone have experience with camping at the Currawong Camp

When, after winter, would be the earliest that it would make sense to camp there?

kindest regards
Mike

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Has been a couple years since going through there. If memory serves me well the road is tar until it's starts to wind up the hill past most of the campsites.
There are heaps of Beautiful spots along there . I wouldn't hesitate heading along beside the river in a 2wd.

Reactions: Drover

Wombat6

Aug 27, 2016
Melbourne
I was camping at the top near Kelly's Hut over Easter. As Paul says the road is bitmen until after the last of the Wellington River campsites. However, the road is also very good all up to the top and well beyond. You can also drive up the Tamboritha Rd to at least Holmes Plain in winter in a two wheel drive if you have chains.

Reactions: Drover and 1DayIll

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
At times I have used the old Google Earth to see if roads are dirt or not.........can be handy.

Reactions: mikerezny

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
At times I have used the old Google Earth to see if roads are dirt or not.........can be handy.
Hi @Drover,
I tried that with the route we took from Melbourne to Beerwah. Some of the Street View images were from 2008 and showed dirt roads that had been sealed many years ago.

As it turned out, the entire route was over good sealed roads.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: Drover