Allan Key needed to get wheels off van

duncandonuts

Jan 19, 2015
Eastwood
www.duncandonuts.info
Hi all, was having a close look at the van wheels while away and noticed that it looks like you need an Allan key to get the centre hubcap off to get to the wheel studs.

I can't find one in the van and wondered if they're normally supplied?

I couldn't find the wheel brace either so nicked out and bought one at supercheap.

I'm also wondered one how many people are caught out with these things (also need a docket or spanner to get the spare off the support bracket too) and think that if should be easy and not something you should need to think about.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just one of Jayco's little surprises, I found the bolt for the spare was not of a size that matched my cross brace, so welded a wheelnut onto the bolt so it did but eventually stuck the spare underneath at the back, the dinky wheel caps I removed at home and left them there, if you have a flat your not in a great mood and those stupid things won't help, leave em at home.......I just sprayed the hub silver.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
mine originally had flat blade head screws which rusted hard even before the first service. They got replaced but glad I didn't need to do it.
My spare hold down bolt was also different to the wheel nuts and thus also from the brace supplied. I keep a 4-way brace with different sizes in the boot so wasn't too fussed (before installing it to the rear) but really, what was Jayco thinking....?

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I found the allen key in the booklet on my last van, not sure where it is on this one so I better have a look. I have go a fitting form my cordless to remove them (and a hammer if needed)

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
Hi all, was having a close look at the van wheels while away and noticed that it looks like you need an Allan key to get the centre hubcap off to get to the wheel studs.

I can't find one in the van and wondered if they're normally supplied?

I couldn't find the wheel brace either so nicked out and bought one at supercheap.

I'm also wondered one how many people are caught out with these things (also need a docket or spanner to get the spare off the support bracket too) and think that if should be easy and not something you should need to think about.
My memory is so bad I taped the allan key to the jack handle after I picked the van up.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
You only have to remove 2 of the Allen bolts to get cap off the rest are dummies though the right size socket will fit the wheel nut without removing the cap.

My van has the same caps, while away noticed one of the Allen bolts missing