Alko ESC - Requires Pendulum type Brake controller

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
G'day Guys, My van is ready to pick up and have just been informed that if you have the Alko ESC, you need a pendulum brake controller, unfortunately mine is not. >:(

Any recommendations on a good pendulum type?

Gibbo

Mar 17, 2013
Bayside
Internal inertia switch, Pendlumum, Porportional what ever the name once you have one you wont go back to the other type. No more locking up wheels while in traffic ect, The van is allways insink with the car. I also have the tekonsha prodigy Its a great product.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
After I read this I went their web site, looked at the FAQ's and downloaded the manual to read. They list a number of controllers and said to call them about others. I called them today, twice, about it and the power requirements. Their Rep said that it will work with other controllers. From talking to him about it and from other reports though it's my understanding that a pendulum or motion sensitive type does it better.

My interest is that for the purchase of a Ford Ranger I specified the Redarc remote head controller due to dash space issues. After I became more aware of the different controllers I deleted that but when car went to accessory fiters it got done anyway. Ford Dealer agreed that it wasn't my fault so I got the controller for free. So it's no loss to me to now want to change it to P3, except for holes in dash.

My second call to ALKO though was about power supply as diagram shows 30A supply from main car battery. I thought that it would come from van battery but that's not what ALKO want. I want to fit dual battery system to Ranger and take feed from there as the ESC could drain main battery if I forget to disconnect at long or over night stops etc. Rangers already have enough battery issues as it is.

Phil

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
After I read this I went their web site, looked at the FAQ's and downloaded the manual to read. They list a number of controllers and said to call them about others. I called them today, twice, about it and the power requirements. Their Rep said that it will work with other controllers. From talking to him about it and from other reports though it's my understanding that a pendulum or motion sensitive type does it better.

My interest is that for the purchase of a Ford Ranger I specified the Redarc remote head controller due to dash space issues. After I became more aware of the different controllers I deleted that but when car went to accessory fiters it got done anyway. Ford Dealer agreed that it wasn't my fault so I got the controller for free. So it's no loss to me to now want to change it to P3, except for holes in dash.

My second call to ALKO though was about power supply as diagram shows 30A supply from main car battery. I thought that it would come from van battery but that's not what ALKO want. I want to fit dual battery system to Ranger and take feed from there as the ESC could drain main battery if I forget to disconnect at long or over night stops etc. Rangers already have enough battery issues as it is.

Phil

Gday Phil.
Thanks for your update, I was going to make some calls but you have saved me the trouble. I too have the redarc remote head in my discovery. It was fitted by an auto Electrician. I was assuming it would be pretty easy to replace with a new unit but not sure it's I could do it myself or not. Would be interested to see how you get on.
Regards
Nikk