17' Series Alko drop-jacks

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
We have had our on road 17.56 for nearly 3 years now and have come to grips with most of its idiosyncrasies.
However one thing that continues to annoy me is the drop jacks.
I have found that they are only really effective when they are in the vertical position (and not on other angles).
Yet the jacks length is 300mm and the clearance to the (level) ground is 250mm.
Consequently they can only be placed in the vertical position at one end if you are parked on uneven ground or one one side if you have the wheels on ramps. Are the jacks on the off road model the same size?
Does anyone else have this constant annoyance or has some else found a solution.
And does anyone know what the two pieces of Velcro attached to the canvas bed ends (near where the hockey stick sits) are used for? I have laid in bed and considered all options but am yet to guess the reason.

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
image.jpg
Here it is

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
It was a couple of years old but virtually unused when we bought it. The stove hadn't been used and the annex was still on the floor of the shower which also hadn't been used. They previous owner wasnt a "real caravan person" so it is unlikely that it had been added after purchase.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
As for the drop down jacks..... @Shane Norwell has solved it. Have a look at his My Jayco page here.
Someone else has also done it but can't remember who it was!

The mod is still on my list of "To Do's"... Just have to get around to it!

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I don't have the Velcro on mine. Maybe it would help pull the canvas in when folding the bed up?

As for the legs, heaps of clearance.
Do you have an Outback or onroad version? All I can think of is you have drop jacks fitted to an onroad when they normally have the wind down ones. Here's a couple of close up for the photo I have handy
image.jpg
image.jpg

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
Thanks dagree for yr reply but my problem is just the opposite as I feel that the jacks are too long and don't drop readily to the vertical position or does everyone just have their jacks at the 45 degree angle.
I find that when they are in this position the base plate just slides along the ground and I can't get a solid base to stabilise the van. My guess is that in normal Jayco fashion they use the same size jacks for both on and off road and consequently my problem of not being able to use the jacks in the best position.
Thanks for yr suggestion Soaring but why Velcro?

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I have only had to have them at an angle if on a significantly sloping site. Still wind them out so they are firm. Have also had to occasionally put a block under one of the legs, again only when on a slopey site. I have an outback.
Have no idea about the Velcro strips up there, never seen them before. I have two straps to hold the folded mattress In place but these straps are on the bed base. Maybe it is a personal addition added by the previous owner. Can you communicate with them maybe?

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I set ours up with the front jacks at 45 degrees, and it bent the pins so the locking mechanism wouldn't work properly.

Had it repaired at the last service, but it seems that putting pressure on the when not vertical can damage the mechanism

Reactions: dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@john hayward there are only 2 sizes in the Alko drop jacks; short 590mm for tourer and longer 790mm for Outback ... niether is ideal and its worse now for the Outback now because theyre so much higher than they were.

There are many other brands around, such as Ark, and the sizes all vary. You may find one of those better suits your van, and can just replace them.

As for the velrco, i had it on both bed ends in my 2009 16.49.1OB ... i have no clue what they were for and nor did the dealer. I used it the hang my watch on at night. The new Expanda doesnt have it and after more 300 nights sleeping in the other van .... I miss the damn thing (whatever it is)

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Shhhhhhh. :gossip: I have been known to grab the shovel and "landscape" sites to suit my levelling, drop jacks, jockey wheel and sullage etc

Reactions: dagree

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Our Jurgens Lunagazer has Alko Jacks but they have 7 positions (I think) between 60 forward and 60 backwards. We usually use one that's around 20 degree from vertical towards the front as suggested by the Jurgens Dealer.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Our Jurgens Lunagazer has Alko Jacks but they have 7 positions (I think) between 60 forward and 60 backwards. We usually use one that's around 20 degree from vertical towards the front as suggested by the Jurgens Dealer.
Whats the thinking behind just off vertical Pete

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Not sure. All i can think is that structurally it changes how the load distributes into the chassis slightly. The dealer used the words "steadies not supports".

Upshot is that we don't have any stability dramas when setup.

Reactions: Crusty181