ALKO Big foot leg plates

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
My van came with the ALKO big foot leg plates and I managed to break one recently and I wanted to ask how tightly they should be attached. I have drop down stabilisers and when I took the old one off I thought it was a bit loose and there was some movement of the leg plate horizontally. Loose is OK as they have nylocks but when I tightened the new one it did not move. I am wondering is this horizontal movement required or advantageous? I noticed the others are also loose.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Just seems odd they have a channel so they could move left to right but I don't see the need / point. I tightened them a bit and they stopped the movement but I wonder if they will break easier because the are made from quite a brittle plastic.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
I have broken a full set plus now the new ones are starting to break. They are very brittle. I dont load them up either. The ones on our Eagle where red but still ALKO and I never had a problem with them. These new ones a sh1t. I think the guy making them must be an ALKO :puke:

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Never had a problem with ours but I'm touching wood as I write this! I think the looser the better to allow for uneven ground, worst case put a piece of wood underneath, I normally do this on boggy ground, I also centralize the foot plate.

Cheers.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I have broken a couple and come to the conclusion that I can save them by putting a block of wood under them.
So far so good with no breakages.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Agree with Burnsy. Looser the better, they need to be able to find their own level. Stabilizers are just that (not jacks) and on occasions you'll need to set them on an angle. On softer ground I slide "el-cheapo" nylon cutting boards ($3.50 each) under each for a bigger footprint. Light weight, easily cleaned and stored, compared to wood blocks.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Xpandafan - How thick are the cutting boards you use? I was thinking of buying one of the thick ones (1cm or more) and cutting it into 4.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Xpandafan - How thick are the cutting boards you use? I was thinking of buying one of the thick ones (1cm or more) and cutting it into 4.

Mine are bout 1cm thick. Found them in a local (St Albans) shop. Somebody in a CP asked me if they were cutting boards. I told him I wouldn't have paid $49.95 for a set of cutting boards!
Told him they were "Expanda Stabilizer Load Distribution Plates" Here's a pic. Notice these are fully reversible and even have carry handle. Wife made a calico carry bag for them (can't help herself).
Stabilizerbase.jpg

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Mine are bout 1cm thick. Found them in a local (St Albans) shop. Somebody in a CP asked me if they were cutting boards. I told him I wouldn't have paid $49.95 for a set of cutting boards!
Told him they were "Expanda Stabilizer Load Distribution Plates" Here's a pic. Notice these are fully reversible and even have carry handle. Wife made a calico carry bag for them (can't help herself).
View attachment 9106

Good thinkn 99

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
We have an extra set of leveling ramps which we double up under the wheels if you don't quite get enough lift with one set. They also come in handy under the jacks, specially if the jacks can't go all the way down and are on a bit of an angle (stops them slipping).