Aircon freeze up

Where2nxt

Oct 6, 2012
Western Australia
Hi, had friends sleep in the 16 ft expanda jayco over Christmas and it was 42 deg. I was at work so I didn't see it but they said the aircon stopped working. Told them to turn it off for a while cause it might have frozen up, which they did. It started to work again but it stopped working the next day. Same thing, let it rest and it worked again. It is a wall mounted heron 2.2 brand new 2012. Would this be due to low on gas or a air flow problem. Anyone had this fault before. I have ran it myself but it wasnt 42 deg and not all day. I will be running it myself this weekend to see

Cheers

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
This happened on a reverse cycle air conditioner at home. We would run it all day. We were told that the aircon was working too well and we had to back off on the temperature setting.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
The 2.2 is not a true reverse cycle it uses a heating element in heat mode. It may be over heating I'd check the way its been installed and that its getting plenty of air flow around the compressor unit .

Gallo

Jan 9, 2013
Lake Macquarie
Hi all new to the forum and noticed this thread.

The air conditioners are prone to icing up in humid weather. Air conditioners in general have 3 main functions. Cooling air, removing dust and particles from condition spaces and removing moisture which is a by product of the cooling process. Warm air passes over the coil of the air conditioner first it passes through the filter and then over the coil which cools the air. The coils of the units usually run at about 2-4 deg but can go below zero. As a result the moisture which condensate on the coil will freeze and cause icing up. It's not a big problem but ice is an insulator and the ad will not be efficient. The quickest way to rectify is to put on heat for a few minutes and the electric element will melt it away. Once melted return it back to cooling and away you go. Most home ac units have a sensor probe on the outside unit and on hot humid days when ice is sensed your inside fans turns off and it reverses the cycle to heat up the outside coil to melt the ice off. It usually sounds like someone throwing sand in the fan blades as the ice hits it. Cheers.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Mine did the exact same thing on the 45 degree day few weeks ago. It happened at about 1 in the morning and it had been on for a good 2 days straight. We started getting hot as the heat from the compressor unit was heating up the van but no air was coming out of the main part of the unit. I did the same and flicked the heater on for a few minutes and solved the problem... it didn't happen again after that. I put it down to such a hot day and night the thermostat thought it needed to keep the compressor running hence iced up the condenser...

Reactions: BHappy