17' Series Aircommand - Sparrow Rooftop Air conditioner - Noisy?

BTS

Mar 1, 2013
Sydney
We currently have 17-56.1 outback with the Aircommand Sparrow rooftop air conditioner, we find the unit works well both cooling and heating. We have just got back from a 1 week at Jindabyne and it heated the van very well, however we have found that the unit is very noisy (both heating and cooling), to a point that we need to turn it off at night as it keeps us awake. Also I believe that someone in the van park actually turned our power off, as it is that noisy. We could clearly hear our unit working some 50-100 meters away from the van during the day, so i can imagine it is even louder at night !
Just wondering if others who have the sparrow find it noisy as well, or if there is potentially an issue with our unit.

Thanks BTS

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Howdy we had one on our old 17/55-5 same thing I got on to air command and got it replaced as told them I was not happy with it one bit heat / cool work well but noise way to loud new one was a little better but still was loud give air command direct a call and demand service it did take a bit I do have a number of a bloke I delt with though them good luck

Reactions: skippy

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Ours is reasonably noisey, but nothing too bad during the day. At night we wouldn't run it as a heater, as the oil heater will keep the chill off. As a cooler, not sure... haven't tried it yet. Will keep an eye on it though, along with this thread.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
we have a roof top Dometic, reasonably quiet, not worth a pinch of pelican doo doo would rather a noisy one that worked, haven't tried it on heat yet though (and probably won't)

bigbertha

Oct 6, 2012
port elliot sa
we have this model and hardly notice it running at all , at night it usaully cuts in and out but is quiet we have slept with it going on numerous occasions . we only have it set on 18`c.

BTS

Mar 1, 2013
Sydney
Thanks for the responses, looks like we will try to make a warranty claim with Aircommand to have the unit looked at and fixed - hopefully.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
We have the Air Command IBIS which runs pretty quiet.

The only exception is when heating.

When the compressor cuts in makes a huge thud, which wakes us up at night.

We have moved to an oil filled heater.

BTS

Mar 1, 2013
Sydney
Thought I would provide an update with this, as Air Command has been fantastic and thankfully we purchased the extended warranty and it was fixed under warranty without any issue. The unit now runs very quiet.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Thought I would provide an update with this, as Air Command has been fantastic and thankfully we purchased the extended warranty and it was fixed under warranty without any issue. The unit now runs very quiet.

great to hear @BTS. I didnt even know there was an extended warranty option with the Air Command. We did need to contact them with a question just after we picked up the van, and the guy I spoke to was very helpful, and told me to save his number in the phone encase we ever needed anything. Good service