Just Browsing Advice please

Haysta

Jan 7, 2020
New Zealand
Looking at importing an expander to NZ for some semi off-road adventures (mainly tarmac but occasional gravel) with my blended family of 2 adults and 4 kids. Love my toys so loving a low TARE and high Payload option with petrol prices the way they are (have a holden colorado 3ton towing vehicle.). Best after-sales option for me is Jayco over here seemingly but prepared to hear differently. My budget (including having to pay GST, govt road charges and shipping fees) looks like I have the following debates;
1) New vs old eg. 2018 Jayco expander 17-56-2 vs 2013/14 17-56-2/18-56-2 OB models?
2) If I go older OB model my second debate is (with relatively high rainfall and UV over here) pop-top vs NOT eg 2014 Jayco expander 17-57-6 or 17-57-9 over above models?
Any shared experiences to assist my final decision gratefully appreciated!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Only a general comment of New versus Old , with New could you get warranty work done over there on it or are you very handy, not all give trouble but some do... If I was buying Used then I would want to tyre kick it before handing over the $$$ or at least have someone trustworthy to give it a very good goingover, especially for any signs of water leaks which can be the biggest cause of drama for all vans, most other faults can be sorted easily but water damage canlead to a daisy chain of drama........In fact even a new van I would want a really good inspection before chucking it in a container to make sure everything is working.........

Plenty of folks on here with those vans so should be able to throw the Pros and Cons of those models.

Welcome to the Mob, keep asking away, no stupid questions just dumb answers...............

Reactions: BJM and Haysta

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
I am currently in NZ South Island for three months driving a 2012 Grand Cherokee overland Diesel .Jayco are making a big push here for market share.A lot more Silverlines on the roads.As Drover said all vans can leak.More so in the poptops sealing of roof panel to outer alloy extrusion .Shows up internally by mould under roof inside or flaking ceiling material Only real trouble with the poptop they can be colder inside because of the vynal skirt.Do you mean your Colorado is petrol.? If so a poptop would be more economical fuelwise.However very expensive towing here if petrol.I have a 2015 Jayco 16.52 Journey Outback poptop ,single wheels in Aus with the independant suspension.Dream to tow on highway and gravel roads .Here in Christchurch yesterday I saw diesel for $129.00 litre,still cheap even adding user charge.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I used to have a Colorado with the 2.8 diesel it returned between 14 and 18 mpg towing... with the hills in NZ possibly more....

Reactions: Haysta

Haysta

Jan 7, 2020
New Zealand
I am currently in NZ South Island for three months driving a 2012 Grand Cherokee overland Diesel .Jayco are making a big push here for market share.A lot more Silverlines on the roads.As Drover said all vans can leak.More so in the poptops sealing of roof panel to outer alloy extrusion .Shows up internally by mould under roof inside or flaking ceiling material Only real trouble with the poptop they can be colder inside because of the vynal skirt.Do you mean your Colorado is petrol.? If so a poptop would be more economical fuelwise.However very expensive towing here if petrol.I have a 2015 Jayco 16.52 Journey Outback poptop ,single wheels in Aus with the independant suspension.Dream to tow on highway and gravel roads .Here in Christchurch yesterday I saw diesel for $129.00 litre,still cheap even adding user charge.
Thanks for the heads up. Colorado 7 is the 2014 2.8 diesel 500Nm and believe I will be fine if I keep towing around 2.3tonne....even with hills I just take my time.
I am looking specifically at the 17-56-2 Jayco model just not sure whether I go 2018 straight expander or older 2014-16 generation outback. no to oconcerned about temperature of pop top just want a van to last hence the pop top hard top debate. I have a couple of guys on the ground to check van over your way but am going to go through reputable dealerships for added peace of mind.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
We have had 2 pop tops over the years and over 7 years old in one case no drama with the pop top for endurance, heat of QLD and the Artic of Victoria, Pop tops really have good aerodynamics the drag of a full roof is a lot............Your Colorado engine will be good, in hilly stuff I found doing manual changes to keep the revs at 21-2200rpm meant my tranny temps stayed under 100 c, sometimes when paying more attention around the 90 c mark, leaving in auto they change too late and the temps will climb easily, under 106c is best, change the tranny oil every 40,000km will keep your tranny in good nick no matter what the dealers tell you or the manual says, use a Tranny shop for a reliable auto service.......that goes for all auto's really.

I always like pre-loved gear myself, 2 yrs young is ideal, can still smell new, save thousands of $$ and the bugs have been sorted and if lucky someone has already thrown $$$ on bling for you.........

Reactions: Haysta

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I'm currently in Christchurch too! Visiting family and looking at freighting my full height starcraft and dmax over in a year or 2.
The temps can get pretty low so a heater is really important. I'm still improving the insulation in mine so a pop top would not be my first choice, but it depends on your intended use I guess.

I called into the jayco dealer and they delete the aircon, add a heater + extra battery + extra solar + grey water tank (plus a few other things). The same model was about 20k more than Aus but with those extras of course. They also have to pay 4k in shipping and 15% gst

Haysta

Jan 7, 2020
New Zealand
We have had 2 pop tops over the years and over 7 years old in one case no drama with the pop top for endurance, heat of QLD and the Artic of Victoria, Pop tops really have good aerodynamics the drag of a full roof is a lot............Your Colorado engine will be good, in hilly stuff I found doing manual changes to keep the revs at 21-2200rpm meant my tranny temps stayed under 100 c, sometimes when paying more attention around the 90 c mark, leaving in auto they change too late and the temps will climb easily, under 106c is best, change the tranny oil every 40,000km will keep your tranny in good nick no matter what the dealers tell you or the manual says, use a Tranny shop for a reliable auto service.......that goes for all auto's really.

I always like pre-loved gear myself, 2 yrs young is ideal, can still smell new, save thousands of $$ and the bugs have been sorted and if lucky someone has already thrown $$$ on bling for you.........
I'm currently in Christchurch too! Visiting family and looking at freighting my full height starcraft and dmax over in a year or 2.
The temps can get pretty low so a heater is really important. I'm still improving the insulation in mine so a pop top would not be my first choice, but it depends on your intended use I guess.

I called into the jayco dealer and they delete the aircon, add a heater + extra battery + extra solar + grey water tank (plus a few other things). The same model was about 20k more than Aus but with those extras of course. They also have to pay 4k in shipping and 15% gst
Yep - pricey to get one here but a new one is out of budget by at least 10-15k - second hand market for the expandas especially is all but non existent - seen one OB 17ft model with the ensuite in the last 12 months more or less. Cheers for the response.