17' Series Advice on DIY shelving for 17.56-1

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Hi All

My wife and I have come to the conclusion that the large cupboard/wardrobe near the bed end and and the smaller one near the fridge need shelving to use the space more effectively.

I am looking for ideas ahead of the up coming long weekend.

Has anyone upgraded these to shelves or something similar recently? If so, do you have any pictures or links to threads on this? What material have used? etc etc

Thanks in advance guys!

daznmel

Oct 21, 2013
Hi Simon,

Yes, I decided to put shelves in both cupboards in my 17.56.1.. and was not going to pay Jayco what they wanted to do it.
The first question is do you want something that comes out leaving minimal evidence, or are you happy to screw the shelves straight into the sides. I am sure that there is a few photo's on this site from the various methods people have used.

I have seen a few people put entire false side walls in out of chip board and screw shelves to this.
Myself, I chose to not screw anything into the existing cupboard walls.. however also decided I want to do it on the cheap.
I think I did both cupboards for about $50, and a bit of my time.
I used Chip Board for the shelves, pine 40x19mm rafters, 25x25mm plastic angle edging I stumbled across in the building area at Bunning's, couple packets of adjustable shelf mounts, and a packet small screws for the plastic edging.

Basically I stuck a rafter in each corners, inserted the shelf with a notch cut out for each rafter on each shelf.
Did a bit of sanding to smooth everything up prior to assembly, but the edging on last.

Note: As much as we hope every thing is square in our caravans, the cupboards are not !!. I needed to do plenty of adjustment to the shelves with a belt sander to get them in.

I hope the photos give you an idea what I did.
Like I said there is plenty of different ways to tackle this problem.

Enjoy your weekend,

Cheers

Darren

Attachments

• SAM_2374.JPG
    SAM_2374.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 436
  • SAM_2375.JPG
    SAM_2375.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 396
  • SAM_2376.JPG
    SAM_2376.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 368
  • SAM_2377.JPG
    SAM_2377.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 392

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks guys for you posts. Keep em comming.

@daznmel great job looks really neat and tidy and adjustable by the look of it.

@Tandem nice work, I think I will look into the draws under the bench, alot of wasted space in that cupboard so an excellant idea.

@17triton or should I say 'Mr Mods' I like the idea of being able to remove from the van without leaving any marks - not sure if my carpentary and metal work are up to your high standards though! I really like the metal bracket to store the foldable table on the bed end how much would you charge to make two? Message me if you are interested.

Wife suggested putting in adjustable metal wire shelves - like the type you see in large wardrobes - I had retro fitted a small cupboard at home with something similar so it might work. I'll look into that too.

It looks like I will be busy this weekend provided the weather cools down, otherwise will have to wait as the beach will beckon! Have a great Straya day folks.

Reactions: 17triton

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
@Simon i just got the aluminium bent up and ends welded on at a local engineering firm, more than happy to help you with them if you need but you might have someone that can make it for you down there in Melbourne. See how you go and let me know if you need help.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
IMG_1112.JPG IMG_1109.JPG

sorry about being on there side couldn't rotate them simple easy liquid nailed 12 mm ply to back wall didn't want to screw into van walls then got the metal shelving from Bunning's finished off with 9 mm I think mdf for shelves white contact on them and there adjustable too good luck

Reactions: Simon

daznmel

Oct 21, 2013
Thanks for the comments.
I like the draws under the bench as well, as I agree, it is a big wasted space. I will have to look into building a set.
Cheers

Macca666

Jan 21, 2015
Echuca, Vic
Hi @Bluey how have those strips help up with the liquid nails in them? I have been thinking of a few ideas to tackle this problem and yours seems like a winner as I can adjust the shelves and have more in when needed and take some out when not needed.

Reactions: Bluey

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I purchased a sheet of Jayco decorative ply matching our model and the plastic edge strip, and moved and added shelves to suit us.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hi @Bluey how have those strips help up with the liquid nails in them? I have been thinking of a few ideas to tackle this problem and yours seems like a winner as I can adjust the shelves and have more in when needed and take some out when not needed.
Hi macca666 I put liquid nails on a sheet of 12 mm ply or was it 8mm and stuck that to the van wall cut to shape around plugs and things in cupboard white contact on it and screwed into that instead of van wall then mdf for shelves all works well being adjustable can post more pics when I get home next weekend wife likes it adjustable she can have it how she wants

Reactions: Macca666

Macca666

Jan 21, 2015
Echuca, Vic
Thanks @Bluey i was looking at the shelving in Bunnings over the weekend and I think it could be a job for this weekend as long as I can fix the leak in the water tank first.

Reactions: Bluey