Just Browsing Advice for purchasing secondhand

Micksealey

Aug 19, 2019
Hallam
Hi , first time posting, I came across this forum while researching expandas for sale, and would like to now if anyone has some advice on buying a secondhand van
Looking at anything from 2004 up to 2012, I have seen many reviews on the different models, so would just like to know what people on here think and recommend. Thanks for your feed back, Michael

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi Michael, firstly apologies for no-one seeing or replying to your intro that doesn't usually happen. There's been a few new vehicle purchases amongst the crew, and the friendly banter has occupied some focus. That's the only excuse I can come up with

Exciting times ahead for you. What are your requirements for the van; is it your first caravan and what kind of camping are you planning, road travel, caravan parks, freecamping, grey nomading etc. Do you have kids traveling with you and is a bathroom a favoured option.

Ill wait here patiently for you for chime back in

Micksealey

Aug 19, 2019
Hallam
Thankyou for replying
I’m looking for a van for 2 adults 2kids, not en-suite, mainly to be used in bitumen roads and staying in caravan parks , looking to do a trip to the Sunshine Coast before he end of the year. My vehicle is a Mitsubishi challenger 2015, 2.5 Ltr turbo diesel
With a towing capacity of up
to 3000 kg quoted by the handbook
It’s not my first van, but at the moment we have a 70s model viscount camper which is great if staying in one spot but can be a lot of work for overnights or a couple of days stay, budget is about $25k
Have looked at early models 2004 or around but just worry about resale value because of the age and unsure if Jayco or another brand like Paramount is the one to go for,
hard to get a good idea relying on reviews, that’s why I like the feedback from this page , seems to be honest and non biased, pleas tell me your thoughts, if any, as they would much appreciated in helping make a decision on how to spend my hard earned money
Regards Michael

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Expanda resale would be influenced a lot I think by hardlid bed end models which appeared late 2008, and Outback models primarily because of their height; the touring Jaycos are very very low and can easily drag their bums entering a petrol station. Early non-bathrrom Expandas didnt have hot water systems so that would also affect resale I suspect because nowadays every van has hot water so it's kinda expected. I've only ever owned Jaycos and we're on our 3rd. I owned the first for 13 years and made a 50% profit on sale, the second I got back the purchase price after 5 years. Both sold relatively quickly. Jayco's arent better (or worse for that matter), they are just very common, and well known particularly to newbies. All but the biggest Expandas are well within your car's weight capacity, our first 16.49.1 model was around an ATM of 2100kg. We had no bathroom of hot water in the 19.49.1, but didnt miss it because we knew no better; without a bathroom the kettle provides all the hot water youll require. Like all vans water damage is the big ticket deal breaker, and it can often be quite difficult to find, and cause the damage a long from the entry point and in the strangest places. Inspections need to be extremely thorough, and its vital someone without emotional connection to the purchase be on hand. Have an ultra hypercritical mate (we all have them, and I am one) preferably with some caravan experience to the purchase inspect the vans you look at and pick $hit out of them. Aside from water damage general presentation is the best give away; if it's presents cared for and in great condition your 80% there.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Agree with all the above, as for towing with the Challenger, folks I've known with them I wouldn't go above the 2300kg ATM, total van weight, they don't really like towing the bigger weight but you can get some really nice comfortable rigs of good size under that weight if you don't want the ensuite as they add up to a lot of Kgs........ Looking at vans of that age group its not so much the brand but how they were looked after so a good inspection is required, checking around vents and windows for stains, inside cupboards for stains, a battered fridge is a good sign of hard use and the usual look underneath can tell a lot, lots of stone chips can show use but insulated cables and plumbing shows it has been treated with thought and usually has been looked after....The flyscxreens on the pop top skirt want to be in good nick, jot an easy thing to fix on some vans and many $$$$........... 7 pin cable is neat and tidy a good sign, a ratty cable shows not a lot of care......just simple things, the vehicle serviced by a dealer every year doesn't mean its been looked after.
I have always bought used and find after just sitting in a van and looking around you know if its for you, you think of by the beach not what you have to do to make it fit then its could be the one.... It's all in the vibes.

Reactions: Crusty181

Micksealey

Aug 19, 2019
Hallam
Thanks for insight drover, can you clarify for me when we’re talking about ATM, does that weight count for the van being fully loaded with things like clothing cutlery etc, or is it just taking about the van weight with xtra included with it,
like annex awnings etc, have been researching the the different terms like ATM and GVM but as this is all fairly new to me still unsure and want to make sure I’m not exceeding as safe weight limit
Also what are your thoughts on level riders, are the necessary on all set ups, once again I appreciate the advice, Michael

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The ATM is the maximum legal weight the van is allowed ie; the weight at the wheels plus the weight on the jockey wheel.......when talking about a 3000kg (3t) tow capacity the ATM is what they are talking about.....it can get complicated I know.
This is a simple explanation with links http://www.withoutahitch.com.au/caravan/understanding-caravan-towing-capacity/

WDH can be helpfull but is another can of worms, this is a helpful link https://www.gorv.com.au/weight-distribution-hitch/ and this one http://www.withoutahitch.com.au/caravan/ask-expert-need-weight-distribution-hitch/

On my old Ute I didn't need one with my 14.44 Expanda as my suspension was upgraded but with Big Mal which is considerably larger I found I needed one just to keep things balanced on certain roads................. If you follow the guides showing how to set up that should answer your question as to if needed, your set up can be nice and level but once oyu get on a wobbly road you can find your tug may porpoise, a WDH set up correctly will stop this or a suspension upgrade.....no matter what the brochures say, usually the original suspension is not really up to the job required for towing or carrying loaded.....

Hope that helps a bit, if not ask away........................

Micksealey

Aug 19, 2019
Hallam
The ATM is the maximum legal weight the van is allowed ie; the weight at the wheels plus the weight on the jockey wheel.......when talking about a 3000kg (3t) tow capacity the ATM is what they are talking about.....it can get complicated I know.
This is a simple explanation with links http://www.withoutahitch.com.au/caravan/understanding-caravan-towing-capacity/

WDH can be helpfull but is another can of worms, this is a helpful link https://www.gorv.com.au/weight-distribution-hitch/ and this one http://www.withoutahitch.com.au/caravan/ask-expert-need-weight-distribution-hitch/

On my old Ute I didn't need one with my 14.44 Expanda as my suspension was upgraded but with Big Mal which is considerably larger I found I needed one just to keep things balanced on certain roads................. If you follow the guides showing how to set up that should answer your question as to if needed, your set up can be nice and level but once oyu get on a wobbly road you can find your tug may porpoise, a WDH set up correctly will stop this or a suspension upgrade.....no matter what the brochures say, usually the original suspension is not really up to the job required for towing or carrying loaded.....

Hope that helps a bit, if not ask away........................
Thanks mate, very helpful
Good to know here are people out there willing to share their knowledge and of advice