adjusting the brakes

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I'm finding the sensitivity of the brakes still too high. If the brake controller is set on one setting the brakes don't grab enough. If adjusted very slightly, they lock up with the smallest of touches to the brake pedal. This was the same on the Pathfinder with a P2 controller, and the van was serviced as a possible fault (as per other posts). Although I don't think the level of adjustment available on the redarc controller is helping and may revert back to a P3 in the long term, is it possible/suitable to wind the cvan brakes back a bit to reduce the hard grip, or will this simply make them come on slightly later but with the same intensity?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I dont thinking backing off the brakes will help unless they are actually over adjusted (to tight)

I know Moto Moto had the same problem ut only on one side of his 14, he replace the brake contoller under advice from the dealer and it still had the same problem. In the end they replaced the whole brake assembly on the problem side.

Is it your all wheels or just one wheel/side?

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Backing off the brakes wont help as what you are backing off is the handbrake your braking is done by the magnetic pads on the face of the brake drum it will be your controller that is a bit dicky ...

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Hmmmm... I thought that might not be the solution. Talking with a few other cvanners, they said they experience the same thing, but backed off the brakes......

initially it was one side after they warmed up (eg drove 100km), now it appears to be both sides (judging by the lack of pull to one side). Slowing from higher speeds isn't too bad, but when slowing from lesser speeds, like through a town, they're a pain.

If the controller, two different controllers in two different cars?????

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
To me that sounds like the symptoms of the Redarc.
Many have reported that as it isn't proportional, they need to constantly adjust the controller to suit the current speed of the vehicle.
This is because the brakes are either on or off with the Redarc, there is no gradual increase in braking like a proportional controller (P2, P3 etc)

If you want to perservere with the Redarc then from all accounts you need to have it up when travelling at highway speeds and then manually dial it back down when travelling through towns,
to avoid the full-on braking effect when it's not actually required

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hey SD,

I had a Redarc remote head brake controller in the Prado but got a Tekonsha Primus for the Ranger and in my opinion what you are describing is totally the controller. It will lock up at intersections and slow speed? But hardly work at highway speeds so you adjust the sensitivity and at the next intersection it locks up again? This is the issues we had and why I went back to a proportional controller.

I also chose the Primus as it can be quickly removed & can be mounted up to 70 degrees.

I hope this helps, btw if your looking at proportional controllers I am very happy with this one!