Adjust suburban hot water system

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
Hi guys and gals, does anyone know if the suburban gas/240v suburban SW6DEA HWS is adjustable? My hot water is barely hot enough to wash dishes with and no, it's not the tempering valve. When I pull the PTR valve I can comfortably hold my hand in the water that ensues.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Hi
it has 2 Temperature switches to control the temp (under the top black cover) they could be faulty

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
Just an update, both the dealer and Coast to Coast say that my model is not adjustable, they are factory set to 65 degrees. I am yet to test the water temp but I'd be amazed if it were any where near 65

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
If you can hold your hand under it its not 65 deg. Have you tried it on gas and power. I am presuming (could be wrong) that one bank of switches is for power and one for gas so it would be very improbable that both thermostats could fail.
EDIT; I just had a look on ebay, there seems to be a 12v (gas) one and a higher voltage (mains power) one.

Last edited:

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
I had a similar problem over last Christmas, if you open the outside cover of the suburban HWS, there are 2 reset switches connected to thermostats. They are located behind a black plastic cover, with rubber covers over them. Try pressing both of these to reset the thermostat. In my case I had to actually remove the rubber covers to be able to press them in properly.

Jason

Reactions: mfexpanda

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Isn't there a temperature valve under the van?
That could be faulty.

@Brad your right mate.
I had the same problem on mine and look underneath your van at the water pipes @Adam G . Look for a cover that is blue and plastic and that's the temperature control valve. Take the blue cover of and adjust the brass nut and problem solved. Hot water will flow at a hotter temp and just be careful not to burn yourself or if you have young ones too let them know that the water will be scalding HOT now

If you can't find it I will take a picture and post it for you if ya like. I had the same problem with my 20.63-1 as well with lack of hot water and I two thought it was the hot water system until I adjusted the temperature control valve.

Good luck

Skip

Reactions: toadskin and blacky

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Adam G states in his original post it is not the tempering valve. If you check the water temp from the PTR then that is tank water temp and not mixed.

Reactions: blacky and skippy

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
:biggrin-new: Yes @macca there a great van as you would know buddy. There is not much difference between the 20 and 18 footers Macca.

Anyway I wonder how @Adam G got on with the hot water system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brad77

toadskin

Aug 1, 2015
Drummond Cove
@Brad your right mate.
I had the same problem on mine and look underneath your van at the water pipes @Adam G . Look for a cover that is blue and plastic and that's the temperature control valve. Take the blue cover of and adjust the brass nut and problem solved. Hot water will flow at a hotter temp and just be careful not to burn yourself or if you have young ones too let them know that the water will be scalding HOT now

If you can't find it I will take a picture and post it for you if ya like. I had the same problem with my 20.63-1 as well with lack of hot water and I two thought it was the hot water system until I adjusted the temperature control valve.

Good luck

Skip

anticlockwise for hotter.

Last edited:
Reactions: skippy

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Just an update, both the dealer and Coast to Coast say that my model is not adjustable, they are factory set to 65 degrees. I am yet to test the water temp but I'd be amazed if it were any where near 65
Hi Adam, just wondering how you went with the hot water issue from 2014?

Gero

Jun 10, 2020
Geraldton
Having simaler problems with nautilus (IW60A) on demand water heater in 2020 poptop expanda. Has worked on previous trips with hot water and needing cold water added when showering. Now in Albany and water is warm at best.Heater preset at 50 degrees max. and seems to light ok and shows 5 burners symbol on and blower running.Just not hot enough . Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks Bob.

Gero

Jun 10, 2020
Geraldton
Having simaler problems with nautilus (IW60A) on demand water heater in 2020 poptop expanda. Has worked on previous trips with hot water and needing cold water added when showering. Now in Albany and water is warm at best.Heater preset at 50 degrees max. and seems to light ok and shows 5 burners symbol on and blower running.Just not hot enough . Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks Bob.
Just an update on this. Waited 4 weeks for local regional jayco agent to look at this who stuck his hand under tap and said there was nothing wrong with it. Adding that these type of instantaneous systems don't get very hot anyway. Told him he was wrong but he wasn't interested so left quite p----- off.
Did further tests at home and with water in tanks at 14 degrees and running tap at 4 LPM manage to get 24.5 degrees and at 6 LPM drops to 21.4 degrees. So seems to be roughly 20 degrees below what i should be getting.
Have been trying to make an appointment at jayco in perth (800km round trip) but as soon as you mention the word `warranty' the service dept. phone seems to ring out. Will persist though next week and eventually post a solution in case others have the same problem.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just an update on this. Waited 4 weeks for local regional jayco agent to look at this who stuck his hand under tap and said there was nothing wrong with it. Adding that these type of instantaneous systems don't get very hot anyway. Told him he was wrong but he wasn't interested so left quite p----- off.
Did further tests at home and with water in tanks at 14 degrees and running tap at 4 LPM manage to get 24.5 degrees and at 6 LPM drops to 21.4 degrees. So seems to be roughly 20 degrees below what i should be getting.
Have been trying to make an appointment at jayco in perth (800km round trip) but as soon as you mention the word `warranty' the service dept. phone seems to ring out. Will persist though next week and eventually post a solution in case others have the same problem.

Have you actually checked what the flow rate of your water is ???? Going by the manual you need 1.9l/min for it to get going, I would mark a bucket and just see what the flow rate is............................... Also have a look at your plumbing to make sure some goose hasn't fitted a Tempering valve to your lines, its a blocky brass and plastic affair which will have 3 water lines hanging off it, though if it was okay before I suppose you haven't..........
Haven't had a play with one of them yet but like all instant systems water flow/pressure seems to be the problem.
A dealer would be a long tedious way to get things solved....