Electrical Adding portable solar panel to fixed panel controller (MPPT)

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hey guys,

At the moment I have a fixed panel on the roof (not sure of the size but I htink it's the 150W out of Jayco factory). I have replaced the standard Solar regulator with a Victron MPPT 100/30.

I also have an anderson that connects directly to the battery for when I am towing.

I recently bought the Kings 200W blanket. I suspect if I use the PWM controller that comes standard with it and put it onto the Anderson (for direct conneciton to the battery) the PWM and MPPT controller will be *fighting* each other (detecting each others voltage as battery voltage and thus not effectivley charging the battery).

Would I be better running a seperate Anderson (for the Kings blanket) directly to the Victron controller and not using the Kings PWM (connect the blanket directly to the anderson that feeds to the MPPT controller)?

If it is better to do it this way (than to connect the balnket -> PWM -> Direct to battery) how do I wire it? Do I join the fixed panel + with the Anderson + and the fixed panel - with the anderson -

I won't be changing the anderson that connects to the car as that works as expected.

Thanks in advance.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I forgot to add - I am trying to cater for the situaiton when the van will be parked in shade, so I need to add the portable blanket on and move it into the sun. I am thinking I would want a series connection for this? But it it's wired series and not plugged in doesn't that stop the fixed panel working (ie. open circuit)?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Macca I have the same basic configuration as you except I use a Victron on the blanket. I plug the blanket (via the Victron) into the Anderson no problems, works fine. The controllers play happily together.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While I have PWM units in van and portable when I hook the portable up direct to battery they both work well together, one will shut down when they get to float, usually the one with less sun, the difference in charge is very little to when the portable is connected to the van PWM. Mine can connect either way

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
They can connect OK and will work OK, however if 1 controller is putting 14V into the battery, the other controller will see this as "Battery full" and basically shutdown. If I manage to somehow run both panels through the MPPT controller mounted in the van the MPPT will be more effective AND the panels won't be fighting each other.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Can't answer that Macca, I only have MPPT controllers and that doesn't happen with them. They work harmoniously connected to the same bank of batteries

Reactions: Macca_75