Solar Adding an Anderson plug

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Hi all,

Can I add an Anderson plug to connect a solar blanket to the battery in the van? The battery also charges when I am plugged into power so am guessing that I should never connect the two sources at the same time.
I will have the regulator attached between the solar blanket and the Anderson plug.
Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yes, if you were plugged into 240 you wouldn't need the solar anyway, use 8 B&S cable it will be more than enough and run direct to battery with a maxi fuse inline as well you could use it for running a compressor or 12v pump etc when you need 12v outside the van... I use mine that way often.......... Of course using this run for solar the panel will require a reg between the panel and battery.......

Reactions: Boots in Action

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Yes, if you were plugged into 240 you wouldn't need the solar anyway, use 8 B&S cable it will be more than enough and run direct to battery with a maxi fuse inline as well you could use it for running a compressor or 12v pump etc when you need 12v outside the van... I use mine that way often.......... Of course using this run for solar the panel will require a reg between the panel and battery.......
Great thanks for that. I am pretty sure that the blanket my son has the regulator inline already.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Great thanks for that. I am pretty sure that the blanket my son has the regulator inline already.
From what I remember when looking at a Kings solar blanket, there are two wires coming out of the blanket itself and these terminate with BC4 (or Anderson) type plugs. There is a separate set of wires connected to the solar controller which plug into the blanket leads wires. The other end (output) has alligator clips for attaching to battery terminals. You can connect the leads from the blanket directly to another solar controller (if sufficient capacity) and not use the one for the blanket if necessary.
I am with @Drover in having an exterior Anderson plug connection on the chassis close to the battery position and a fused line direct to battery terminals. It also serves as a handy 12 volt outlet for any appliances used outside.

Note that in my connections, I have a separate connection for my solar panels as that line goes to my MPPT controller inside the van. The other connection goes directly to the battery (fused of course) and provides me with an input to charge van battery if necessary and also a 12 volt outlet for any external use.

Attachments

• Charging Van Battery (3).JPG
    Charging Van Battery (3).JPG
    317 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
From what I remember when looking at a Kings solar blanket, there are two wires coming out of the blanket itself and these terminate with BC4 (or Anderson) type plugs. There is a separate set of wires connected to the solar controller which plug into the blanket leads wires. The other end (output) has alligator clips for attaching to battery terminals. You can connect the leads from the blanket directly to another solar controller (if sufficient capacity) and not use the one for the blanket if necessary.
I am with @Drover in having an exterior Anderson plug connection on the chassis close to the battery position and a fused line direct to battery terminals. It also serves as a handy 12 volt outlet for any appliances used outside.

Note that in my connections, I have a separate connection for my solar panels as that line goes to my MPPT controller inside the van. The other connection goes directly to the battery (fused of course) and provides me with an input to charge van battery if necessary and also a 12 volt outlet for any external use.
Gret thanks. I get the picture and it looks easy enough to do.