Adding a portable solar panel - how to wire in

sjmorris1966

Apr 10, 2012
Newcastle
I have noted some excellent electrical mods.. but nothing that seems to touch on my issue. I am adding an 80W portable panel and need to wire in a method to plug it into the van to charge my 105Ah AGM. One of the threads mentions cutting off the solar panel alligator clamps and terminating to a flat trailer plug and connecting the panel into via that method. My concern is the voltage drop.

What I am considering is:

removing the solar reg and placing closer to the battery. This I am told is best as allows temp cut out and no/less voltage drop ?
terminating the panel cables to a male cigarette plug.
then plugging in the the solar to the pre existing, externally mounted 12 volt socket labelled as external shower.

will this work ?
My van is a 2005 12ft expanda.

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
I have noted some excellent electrical mods.. but nothing that seems to touch on my issue. I am adding an 80W portable panel and need to wire in a method to plug it into the van to charge my 105Ah AGM. One of the threads mentions cutting off the solar panel alligator clamps and terminating to a flat trailer plug and connecting the panel into via that method. My concern is the voltage drop.

What I am considering is:

removing the solar reg and placing closer to the battery. This I am told is best as allows temp cut out and no/less voltage drop ?
terminating the panel cables to a male cigarette plug.
then plugging in the the solar to the pre existing, externally mounted 12 volt socket labelled as external shower.

will this work ?
My van is a 2005 12ft expanda.

Hey sjmorris

Your concept is correct. I have done the same with the regulator from the portable panels. If it not pi$$ing down with rain this weekend I will get some photos of what I have done and post them up here...

But if I read it correctly, steps 1 & 2 are right but step 3 needs a bit of work. Whatever you do, DO NOT connect a solar panel direct to your 12 V system without a regulator! This may damage your equipment as the voltage direct from a panel without a reg can be anywhere up to 22 Vdc.

What you will need to do is run a seperate cable out to the drawbar from the Solar Input Terminals of the Regulator. Then put a female cigarette (12 Vdc auto socket) on the end of the cable so the panel can connect to the Regulator directly. Then run a cable from the battery terminals of the Regulator to the battery via a fuse holder. (All battery connections must be fused to avoid issues)

Also with the panel, how long is the lead? To keep it away from the van shadow, it needs to be about 6-8 metres long. You can rewire the panel quite easily from the terminal box to the plug if you have to.

This is an overview of my setup, as mentioned I will get some photos up of what I have done over the weekend. Solar-for-a-portable-panel

Cheers. :music:

PS Probably need to start this thread in the Jayco Expanda How To's / FAQ's / Technical Documents section (or have it moved Expanda?).

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey mate,

Photos as discussed.

The fold away panel, note the left over silicone from the regulator...
Solar_4.jpg

The panel connected to the plug at the drawbar...
Solar_3.jpg

The plug/socket with the cabling run through the same grommet as the trailer lights...
Solar_2.jpg

Cabling into the "rat's nest" as it has been called on some posts...
Solar_5.jpg

Cabling up into the van...
Solar_6.jpg

The regulator installed next to the battery. Also note the under voltage switch for my fridge...
Solar_1.jpg

When I did this test, the battery was fully charged so the voltage available from the panels was very good, around the 14.1 Vdc mark. Just make sure that any connection to the battery is fused and crimped properly. I solder all my crimp lugs as well.

Hope this helps

Cheers.

sjmorris1966

Apr 10, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Electric Guru, many thanks for making the effort to get the pics .. appreciated. I will endevour to do same fro the forum when I finish my fit out... albeit mine will be simpler...