AdBlue shortage

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
not that it really matters to me since I don't have a diesel tug, But I have been reading the news relating to a world-wide shortage of AdBlue.

Now, as I understand it, AdBlue is an additive to reduce emissions. Further, if your tug runs out of AdBlue, the ECU can put your engine into limp mode. Obviously not a good thing, especially if you are out in the middle of nowhere.

So, my question is: If you run out of AdBlue, could one fill the AdBlue tank with another liquid to stop the ECU from putting the tug into limp mode?
As I understand it, AdBlue is mostly de-ionizwd water with urea dissolved in it.
take care
Mike

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As far as I know theres not a DiY replacement available and putting anything else in has expensive results....not a lot of cars here have it but most of the heavy fleet uses it, I never liked the system or DPFs....... There are AdBlue deletes available much like EGR and DPF deletes I assume which means a remap and handing over a grand or more and so long as your car doesnt get a sniffer hooked up your laughing.

Thankfully my Grand doesnt have it, wouldnt buy a vehicle with it anyway....Next vehicle will be a sensible petrol, V8 preferably certainly not a 2lt chook chaser.....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
We all have a problem if Adblue runs out. Most modern semi trailers dragging out goods and shackles around the country run on Adblue. Stop the truckers and we stop our tucker.

it certainly will affect everyone @rags as I mentioned in Good Morning, all the interstate haulers would be running rigs with AdBlue systems and once it runs down you won't want your rigs leaving the yard and going to limp mode ...... and it doesn't sound like we have anything set up to make any here so another case of being screwed by moving off shore.............. if this global shortage isn't sorted out then we are going to face something worse than lockdowns, it will be shutdowns........... start your gardens now and hope you don't rely on diesel power generators..................... when the great unwashed realize the dunny paper will be in high demand again.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
As far as I know theres not a DiY replacement available and putting anything else in has expensive results....not a lot of cars here have it but most of the heavy fleet uses it, I never liked the system or DPFs....... There are AdBlue deletes available much like EGR and DPF deletes I assume which means a remap and handing over a grand or more and so long as your car doesnt get a sniffer hooked up your laughing.

Thankfully my Grand doesnt have it, wouldnt buy a vehicle with it anyway....Next vehicle will be a sensible petrol, V8 preferably certainly not a 2lt chook chaser.....
Drover the next vehicle may be electric !

Reactions: mikerezny

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Drover the next vehicle may be electric !

I reckon one that fits my requirements is a long way off and I doubt I could afford it anyway... .......... This AdBlue shortage is now, EV's will have no effect on it or any help to alleviate the problems it will cause.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Apparently 160000 EV F150s on forward order with Ford in US.! Sthn boys must be getting serious.!

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Apparently 160000 EV F150s on forward order with Ford in US.! Sthn boys must be getting serious.!
Hi,
one issue, in my mind, is the real cost of EV. Currently, you pay for the EV and then off you go down the road, locking in the fact you are paying no fuel excise, tax, levies etc that are added to fuel.
That will not last. As soon as politically possible, the same taxes and levies will be added to the cost of running an EV.

What is missing from the pollution story is the TOTAL pollution of an EV. Note, I am NOT a climate denier. I worked in the climate in weather area for many years. But, like quite a few ideas that float around to save the planet, they are not always what they seem.

I am not sure that powering an EV from dirty coal produced in inefficient aging power stations or nuclear energy is as clean as some EV advocates sprout.

Me, I consider that limiting the distance I drive with my two existing petrol vehicles (Falcon for towing, 1.6l Getz for city driving) is cleaner than anyone else driving 10 times the distance in any other vehicle.

take care
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and the EVs have nothing to do with this AdBlue topic at all................. If they drove to Thargomindah or Winton it would be on the back of a diesel truck as they wouldn't get a charge anywhere............. can you imagine the black out at Longreach if all the Vanners plugged their cars in one night.......... get the supply sorted and the cars will follow but the EV pushes are city centric and have no idea how many people move along the highways.... 6 power points every 100kms is bugga all you will need charging stations that will make the big truckstops at Albury and places look small.....

No more news on the Ad Blue but I have stocked up on dunny paper just in case or we could be camping near a long drop so newspaper will be okay, no trucks to bring the daily paper , we'll all be ruined.:o:o:o