A Good Book To Read

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
This thread might be a complete flop, but i was wondering if anyone else likes to read while on holidays (besides reading posts on this forum of coarse).

With work, kids, and a busy life in general, its hard to find time to read, so when i'm away i love to read a good book.

Just thought i would share a few good good ones and others might do the same to help me choose my next book. I won't list every book i like and bore people, i will just bore you with the best ones:yawn:

Best books:
1. The Book Theif - Markus Zusak
2. Batavia - Peter Fitzsimons

If want inspiration for a trip around OZ:
1. Adventures in Caravanastan - Greg Bearup
2. Around Australia in 80 days - Jonathan Green

Not the sort of thread you would expect on a caravanning forum, but hey, someone might be interested.

Eeram55

Jul 4, 2011
South Western Victoria
I too, find it difficult to find time to read, and only enjoy it while on holidays. I have a Kindle now, and it is fantastic. I can take 50 books away with me, and not have any extra weight in the van!! Makes everyone happy. I can usually be found under the awning or in the sun, with my nose in a book. I agree with your No. 1 Moto - I thoroughly enjoyed the Book Thief. Took a little while to get into, but then I couldn't put it down.
Two of my favourites:
1."Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese
2. "Someone knows my name" by Lawrence Hill
Love to hear of anyone else's favourites. It's great to find new authors.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
My wife is a big reader but I've never had the patience. For me it's forums, magazines or the newspaper! Good idea for a thread but moto.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Woo hoo looks like we have a little 'expandasdownunderbookclub' :rockon:
Yes the Book Theif took a while to get going but once going i too couldn't put it down.
Thanks for the suggestions Eeram55, just what i was after.

I was like that Burnsy, getting back into books has only started for me since getting our expanda 12 months ago. Now its just part of my holidays.

Eeram55

Jul 4, 2011
South Western Victoria
Moto Moto,
I have just found another really good read.
The Physician(Cole) - by Noah Gordon. Set in the 11th century - from London to Persia story of Rob Cole's search to become a physician. Really interesting. Half way through it, and can't put it down!!
Maree.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Here's a few - bit of a mixed bag -

"City of Djinns" William Dalrymple
"Under the Tuscan Sun" Frances Mayes
"The Ancestor Game" Alex Miller
"Life of Pi" Yann Martel
Agatha Christie books, Harry Harrison SF books.......the list goes on....

And purely my interest - any book about food (but not books that are a list of recipes) - I do the cooking!

Bill

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I am an avid reader and just enjoy action type fiction. Favourite author include Clive Cussler, Dale Brown, Colin Forbes, Andy McNab, Matthew Reilly, Tom Clancy etc. I also read Stephen King and Dean Koontz for a bit of horror and at odd times will go for a bit of Sci Fi and alternative history like Harry Turtledove. I too have an e-reader and have hundred of books on it, really great except for having to remember to keep it recharged. :bounce:

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
My wife is a big reader but I've never had the patience. For me it's forums, magazines or the newspaper! Good idea for a thread but moto.

This is me also.
I'm usually too busy doing things when on holidays to sit and read a book, plus the kids always need "something"..

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
I am an avid reader and just enjoy action type fiction. Favourite author include Clive Cussler, Dale Brown, Colin Forbes, Andy McNab, Matthew Reilly, Tom Clancy etc. I also read Stephen King and Dean Koontz for a bit of horror and at odd times will go for a bit of Sci Fi and alternative history like Harry Turtledove. I too have an e-reader and have hundred of books on it, really great except for having to remember to keep it recharged. :bounce:

I have an iPad - just bought nifty recharger from Domayne that fits into 12 volt outlet - don't have to worry about using inverter...............

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
This is me also.
I'm usually too busy doing things when on holidays to sit and read a book, plus the kids always need "something"..

My kids are long gone so don't have to worry about them needing something - LOL - though first grandchild arriving in about 3weeks!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
The kite runner is great.
Any Stephen Kings or a good biography. Nelson Mandella was fantastic.
Did anyone read the age on the weekend? It had a section on some of the dealings in the Gough Whitlam era and all the activities that led to his ousting. It was from an excerpt in a book. Very interesting....

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I'm mostly like Chartrock with that author selection, except I could never really get into Andy McNab, and have finally retired Dale Brown off the book shelf for more room. I'd also add Peter Watt, Michael Crichton, Kathy Reichs (Bones), and currently making my way through David Baldacci,
I also have a number of biographies (AAT Kings, Micky O, Ned Kelly) and australian history (wild colonial boys, gold fever, under the southern cross) next on the list..
Yeah, read lots

Whenever we travel and find a market, the first place is always a book stall. We found a little book shop in an arcade In Margaret River and got 20 books for $10 for the kids. Kept them quiet again for a little while :) But mostly they keep returning to the dreaded Harry Potters.

Moto - the missus enjoyed Adventures in Caravanastan also. You might also enjoy Tim Bowden's (and his car Penelope) books. These have influenced various travels we've had

Those with Kindles etc - could you explain please; do you need to buy all the books, and thus always 'licensed' to you, or can you rent/hire/borrow them like a library book, or borrow a friend's copy?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
My wife has a Kindle and while books can be borrowed from a library, that library is not available in Oz. They do have a large selection of 'free' books but nothing from current authors.

An ebook reader I feel is a better option. I have a Dell Streak 7 which is a computer allowing direct connection to the web, can send and receive emails etc and has an app for Kindle which allows me access to Kindle bookstore. It can also talk to local libraries although I have not tried this yet.

I can download books and pass them on to others when finished but am not sure of the legalities of 'lending ebooks' but I don't know what the difference is to passing on a real book once I have read it.