A couple of questions before a possible purchase.

cruiser

Apr 30, 2012
Hi, I haven't got an Expanda (yet) but am seriously contemplating one very soon. We would be upgrading from our Trak Shak camper and we are looking for a little bit more comfort. Am looking at getting a 14.4.4. Think are great for our situation with a 4yo and we like to spend most of the time outside so don't need one with lots of inside space.

What I would like to know is:
Has anyone fitted a heater such as the webasto diesel heater to their expanda. I think it would be easier if the front still had a boot, but anything could be possible given enough thought. Would rather this as we don't always camp where there is 240v and I like to be as self sufficient as possible.

Has anyone been able to fit more than 1 jerry holder onto a 14' expanda? I like to do remote touring and drive a v8 petrol cruiser. So now you know why I ask that question :tongue:

Went to the Rosehill show and had a quick look at them but ran out of time. We actually went to get a quote on a kimberley kamper but came away drawn towards the expanda's. My how those shows can change your way of thinking sometimes.
The salesman told me that they cant fit 17" wheels onto them. Didn't really explain why but I thought I ask here if anyone has managed to do that. if its just gaurd clearance, would putting the springs on top of the axle fix that?

Is the independant suspension worth it for these or do the leafs do the job just fine?

I'm sure I'll have more questions down the track but if someone can help with those would be great.

Brett

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi cruiser

Welcome aboard, you've found the right place to asked question

Heating : The Truma gas heater is the way to go for Expanda's, any van for that matter, It's virtually silent compared to the Diesel heater, the fuel source is already avaliable (your gas bottles) no need to add extra tank,

We have been thinking of this option for some time to make those free camps/unpowered a bit more comfortable in winter.

cruiser

Apr 30, 2012
Thanks for that guys.
I will look at the truma heater, although I was only hoping to stick with one gas bottle as I know 1 jerry holder goes on the A-frame as well.
In saying that I have been looking at other threads in regard to a-frame boxes and seeing whats possible with those. Maybe if one could be built to house 4 x 10L fuel containers plus a couple of other thing then that would negate the need to hold 2 normal jerry's somewhere, whilst leaving room for a 2nd gas bottle.

Lots of thought required, but planning these things is certainly half the fun.